New upload on Vimeo re: UP8 2.8 R8 Vision 3 50D color neg

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nicholas Kovats

New upload on Vimeo re: UP8 2.8 R8 Vision 3 50D color neg

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

I have decided to upload a short test film in light of Kodak's two major announcements today regarding its discontinuance of Ektachrome 100D color reversal film and simultaneous introduction of Vision3 50D color negative in Super 8 cartridges. I have been using E100D predominately over the last 2 years in my Bolex UP8 2.8 Regular 8 camera . But I have become increasingly disenchanted with it's compressed latitude such that Kodak's double announcements are ironic indeed and have forced a re-evaluation of my current shooting methods.

I had previously shot a test reel of Mr. Edward Norwill's reperforated single perf 16mm V3 50D stock earlier this spring but it has been sitting on the backburner due to some issues that have not been identified regarding vertical banding and color shifts. This is a low resolution 720 x 480 DVCPRO50 preview scan compared to my "normal" 2400 x 860 x 24 bit UP8 files and I have decided to upload it for discussion purposes. It has not been color corrected.

Cheers!

https://vimeo.com/55498777
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
Lunar07

Re: New upload on Vimeo re: UP8 2.8 R8 Vision 3 50D color ne

Post by Lunar07 »

Why does it look grainy? Clips you uploaded before with Ektachrome 100D looked sharper. Am I imagining things? :)
Also, what is this yellowish orangy vertical line that appears to the left?
freedom4kids wrote:I have decided to upload a short test film in light of Kodak's two major announcements today regarding its discontinuance of Ektachrome 100D color reversal film and simultaneous introduction of Vision3 50D color negative in Super 8 cartridges. I have been using E100D predominately over the last 2 years in my Bolex UP8 2.8 Regular 8 camera . But I have become increasingly disenchanted with it's compressed latitude such that Kodak's double announcements are ironic indeed and have forced a re-evaluation of my current shooting methods.

I had previously shot a test reel of Mr. Edward Norwill's reperforated single perf 16mm V3 50D stock earlier this spring but it has been sitting on the backburner due to some issues that have not been identified regarding vertical banding and color shifts. This is a low resolution 720 x 480 DVCPRO50 preview scan compared to my "normal" 2400 x 860 x 24 bit UP8 files and I have decided to upload it for discussion purposes. It has not been color corrected.

Cheers!

https://vimeo.com/55498777
Nicholas Kovats

Hi Lunar,

I disagree regarding the graininess and I believe it is a superior emulsion for serious wide latitude work including more accurate replication of color space. As I detailed in my preface we have not identified the root cause of the vertical strips aka "banding.

Nicholas
Nicholas Kovats
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

This is my expectation.
Ok. Remember the one with the woman and the crystal ball. I believe that was a B&W clip. My mistake.
Compare the faces in both clips. The face looks sharper in the B&W clip. More definition to it.
freedom4kids wrote:Hi Lunar,

I disagree regarding the graininess and I believe it is a superior emulsion for serious wide latitude work including more accurate replication of color space.
Nicholas
Nicholas Kovats

Gentleman,

Your answer is in my opening description and technically you are correct, i.e.

"This is a low resolution 720 x 480 DVCPRO50 preview compared to my "normal" 2400 x 860 x 24 bit UP8 scans and I have decided to upload it for discussion purposes. It has not been color corrected."
Nicholas Kovats