Gold at the Goodwill

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Rick Palidwor

Gold at the Goodwill

Post by Rick Palidwor »

You gotta love it when this happens. I walk into my local Thrift Store and see a Canon 1014E at the counter. I already know it's my lucky day and then I see the price: $9.99!! Yes, thank you.

There was some corrosion in the battery box but I got it running. There's a nick on the lens but I can only see it in macro. The manual exposure dial doesn't work but the light meter does. Auto-only shooting is a drag but $9.99!

I am going to put it on my tripod, point it out my window where a giant construction project just broke ground. I plan to shoot 10 frames a day for the next 360 days. I'd be shooting that in auto anyway, so I'm working with what I've got...

And to let you know how extra lucky I got, there is someone in this neighbourhood who knows super 8, so it wouldn't have lasted long at all. I've seen super 8 projectors there but by the time I go home to get a test roll and a take-up reel it's gone, and that's happened twice now. So I think the next projector will be bought untested. They are usually under $20.

And just since I am writing about my local Goodwill Thirft Store, I have been scooping up some great films on VHS since everyone is dumping them. Twin Peaks box set, The Conversation, Natural Born Killers, The Limey, Ed Wood, Wild at Heart, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, Punch Drunk Love, Miller's Crossing, Magnolia, American Psycho, Apocalypse Now, Fight Club, Boogie Nights, on and on, and just today, Hard Eight (PT Anderson's first feature)

Rick
super8man

Post by super8man »

You sound like me 10 years ago...thrift store days...I remember them well. Score on Monday, post on ebay on Tuesday, ca-ching.

Very swell. Cool.

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
marc

Post by marc »

I know the feeling. I bought a Canon 1218 at a thrift store for $50.00. And though many here may not consider that a good deal, you should see what some of the dealers are charging for it. It was mint in the hard case with the big lens shade and all! I traded it up for some prime lenses for an H8 reflex that I had at the time.
Last edited by marc on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattias

Post by mattias »

i got one of my 814's at a thrift store. it didn't have a price tag so i offered ten bucks just to see if they knew what it was worth. they gave it to me for five because they couldn't find the box. this was ten years ago when they sold for $100 on ebay and $300 in camera shops.

/matt
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

(message deleted - wrong thread - whoops!) :oops:
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Mitch Perkins

Re: Gold at the Goodwill

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Way to go Rick, you deserve it! I'll bet we can get that manual exp working, once you've got your time-lapse footage...

Mitch
marc

Post by marc »

Mistake post!
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

i've found a canon 814 and cosina 748 (suprisingly good with +/- f stops and metering for 64 asa, for ex) recently.
BK

Post by BK »

I know the feeling. :lol:

Few years back I walked into an antique shop in Hong Kong and a Nikon R10 appeared in front of me magically. Asked about the price and expected it to be hundreds but no US$40...I even haggled but the guy won't give in co's it's a Nikon. For it's amazing condition I am smiling everytime I use the R10, even to this day. 8)

Scored "big" quite a few times but the trade off is you have to visit the flea markets, secondhand, antique shops constantly and time is money. But the excitement and pleasure you get is tremendous. It's like hunting for gold.

It's addictive and became an obsession of mine...I even had a dream of standing on top of a huge pile of movie cameras at the rubbish tip just picking through the one's that I wanted.

Finding good cameras in Hong Kong is quite rare now, co's they have all been thrown out and the ones you do come across are in bad condition with fungus ridden lens.

Bill
filmamigo

Post by filmamigo »

Hey Rick,

I look around the local thrift stores occasionally. Nothing Super 8 lasts very long in Toronto. I think there's more than a couple of us around!

Some of the Goodwill's know that Super 8 is a little treasure, because they hold back all of the Super 8 cameras for "auction day" (which means only dealers will get them, because I can't show up for an auction in the middle of my workday...)

Happy hunting!
David W Scott
Producer / Director
"The Behaviour of Houses"
http://www.behaviourofhouses.com
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

filmamigo wrote:Hey Rick,

I look around the local thrift stores occasionally. Nothing Super 8 lasts very long in Toronto. I think there's more than a couple of us around!

Some of the Goodwill's know that Super 8 is a little treasure, because they hold back all of the Super 8 cameras for "auction day" (which means only dealers will get them, because I can't show up for an auction in the middle of my workday...)

Happy hunting!
I knew about the auction days, which is why I was surprised to find this Canon for $10. Clearly "my Goodwill" doesn't know this and I am not going to mention where I live as all the super 8 hawks on this board will be checking it more often. :)
Rick
super8man

Post by super8man »

You are a SENIOR MEMBER in TORONTO according to your avatar...
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

super8man wrote:You are a SENIOR MEMBER in TORONTO according to your avatar...
I know. And you are a senior member in the Golden State. Not sure what this has to do with the topic. But I have always wondered what makes some os uf "senior members". Number of posts. Age?
Rick
super8man

Post by super8man »

Just in case you missed my reference:

you said:

I knew about the auction days, which is why I was surprised to find this Canon for $10. Clearly "my Goodwill" doesn't know this and I am not going to mention where I live as all the super 8 hawks on this board will be checking it more often. Smile
Rick

I said:

you are a senior member in toronto...it was the TORONTO part that was germane to the discussion...the senior member part was a red herring...filler...color commentary if you will.

That's what it has to do with the thread...

Cheers,
Mike
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

super8man wrote:Just in case you missed my reference:

you said:

I knew about the auction days, which is why I was surprised to find this Canon for $10. Clearly "my Goodwill" doesn't know this and I am not going to mention where I live as all the super 8 hawks on this board will be checking it more often. Smile
Rick

I said:

you are a senior member in toronto...it was the TORONTO part that was germane to the discussion...the senior member part was a red herring...filler...color commentary if you will.

That's what it has to do with the thread...

Cheers,
Mike
I think I follow. I am trying to keep my location secret but my location is in my avatar?

However, we have a lot of these Goodwill stores here so I was referring to my neighbourhood.

Rick