Goko A-203 Viewer/Editor - How to Use with S8?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

johnmeyer

Goko A-203 Viewer/Editor - How to Use with S8?

Post by johnmeyer »

A friend was going to put his Goko A-203 Dual 8 Viewer/Editor into the dump, but gave it to me instead. (People always think of me when they go to the dump.)

Here's the problem: There is a sprocket next to the film gate which drives the "shutter." However, the sprocket is too large to fit into the holes on Super8 film, but works fine with regular 8.

Question: Did this unit come with two sprockets -- one for regular 8 and one for Super8?

There is a screw on the front that you turn when going between the two 8mm formats (it changes the film gate), but there is no obvious and easy way to change the sprocket.

Thanks for any information you might have that could help me.
MovieStuff

Re: Goko A-203 Viewer/Editor - How to Use with S8?

Post by MovieStuff »

Have you actually tried putting super 8 on it? I'm pretty sure that the sprockets have a wide base for regular 8 and then, in the middle of the tooth, there is a smaller "tip" for super 8. So the super 8 rides on the end of the sprocket teeth. That's how all the dual 8mm editors work that I've seen in the past.

Roger
super8man

Post by super8man »

Your editor works for both formats...if you use a large screwdriver (or a butter knife like most people) turn the big screw in front of the sprocket 1/4 of a turn. There is a "S8" and a "R8" (or S and R) on the film plane side. Don't force anything.

Also, when running your film, do not try to rotate the cranks too quickly - your film will jump off the round teeth.

Good luck.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
livio

Post by livio »

My A-203 has a two sided sprocket wheel: you must pull it out and reverse it
(there should be a plastic retaining ring, but if it is missed the sprocket stays secured anyway). Then turn the big screw as super8man says.
livio
super8man

Post by super8man »

I stand corrected - I am currently using a ProMaster which is very similar to a Goko dual 8 I sold a long time ago. I guess there were a few different methods as far as editors go. Thanks for the correction.

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/