check out my surreal 16mm short film THE WANDERER

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
mr.skull

check out my surreal 16mm short film THE WANDERER

Post by mr.skull »

I just posted a short film on my site that has not been seen since being broadcast by PBS 23 years ago. Titled THE WANDERER, it is quite surreal, featuring a champion athelete walking on his hands all around town. The concept is quite novel, I still have still never seen a film like it. Originally I did a super 8 version. Then I managed to get a grant from a Public Broacasting affiliate and made an improved 16mm version. It was shot on ECO, an excellent film no longer available. The transfer is standard early eighties telecine. I still have the original film and plan to get a modern transfer eventually. The soundtrack is updated to stereo, as it was originally mono. Feel free to offer your comments and impressions. Here is the link...
http://www.joelfletcher.com/experimental-films.html
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I liked it a lot. That guy was very good at walking on his hands - the motion takes on a strange quality after a while, like some kind of mutated animal. Were his legs being held in the final shot?
mr.skull

Post by mr.skull »

Hmmm. Its been so long since I shot the film, but I doubt his legs were steadied while he is on the edge of the cliff. What I do know is that it only LOOKS like he is on a high cliff. About 4 feet down was another level, so he was not in any real danger!
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

I lived in Madison and went to the Uni there in the early 80's! That was when the Student Government, who were a bunch of clowns, were elected after promising to bring 10,000 pink flamingos and the Statue of Liberty to campus! LOL, you got the Statue of Liberty! They also promoted the nation wide cult of Toga Parties.

Gianni in London
mattias

Post by mattias »

very cool. i like it. in what way do you consider it surreal though? i mean walking on ones hands is a very real thing to me.

/matt
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...That is interesting. Especially now since it is also a time period piece. I was just in DC a couple weeks ago. That place has become a fortress....

I love this kind of athletic story-line too. Have you seen the Kris Holm unicycle films?

Steve
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Steve, not wanting to rain on your parade, I think that's the State Government capitol in Madison, Wisconsin, not the Federal Government Capitol in Washington DC (where I also used to live).

Gianni
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

gianni1 wrote:Steve, not wanting to rain on your parade, I think that's the State Government capitol in Madison, Wisconsin, not the Federal Government Capitol in Washington DC (where I also used to live).

Gianni
:? ....hmmm. I've never been to Madison. Looked like DC to me. Well, what can I say, I'm a child of the American West...that is way out west :wink:

Steve
mr.skull

Post by mr.skull »

OK maybe I am stretching it a bit on the term surreal. However, one definition is "unexpected juxtapositions", which fits the films concept in my opinion. The Wisconsin capitol building was designed by the same guy who did the U.S. capitol, and looks very similar. So I can understand the confusion.
Dr_Strangelove

Post by Dr_Strangelove »

mr.skull wrote:The Wisconsin capitol building was designed by the same guy who did the U.S. capitol, and looks very similar. So I can understand the confusion.
You had me fooled!