New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Terry_USA

Re: New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Post by Terry_USA » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:21 pm

I talked to some of the younger generation today at Church about Super 8mm film. Basically in their 20's. There was an absolutely not all-around consensus. They want nothing to do with 8mm. And it wasn't like "Hey that's pretty cool retro". It was a firm "no".

Will2

Post by Will2 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Terry_USA wrote:I talked to some of the younger generation today at Church about Super 8mm film. Basically in their 20's. There was an absolutely not all-around consensus. They want nothing to do with 8mm. And it wasn't like "Hey that's pretty cool retro". It was a firm "no".
When people get the real prices that will be a "hell no."

slashmaster

Post by slashmaster » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:36 am

Terry_USA wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:21 pm
I talked to some of the younger generation today at Church about Super 8mm film. Basically in their 20's. There was an absolutely not all-around consensus. They want nothing to do with 8mm. And it wasn't like "Hey that's pretty cool retro". It was a firm "no".
And these guys are probably content with big grimy cellphones with cracked up screens. Ask these guys if they're looking to get a VR-headset and see what they say..

kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:18 pm

philipms

Post by philipms » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:48 pm

How exciting... my Kodak email newsletter says..

Super 8 – Like You've Never Seen Before
We know many of you are eagerly awaiting the new KODAK Super 8 Camera. We are as eager to ship it as you are to shoot with it!

Kodak made its last Super 8 Camera in 1981. By introducing an updated, mechanically intricate film camera that's augmented with the convenience of digital features, we are also breathing new life into the manufacturing ecosystem that makes a premium creative tool like this possible. Meanwhile, we're making sure that the KODAK Super 8 Camera delivers the same outstanding, professional-level quality and performance worthy of the Kodak name. The bar is high, because we know you expect it to be.

To give you a sense of the journey we've been on to create the only motion picture film camera ever to combine analog capture with digital tools, we invite you to listen to an update about the status of the KODAK Super 8 Camera.
Listen now

The KODAK Super 8 Camera and processing ecosystem will be available in 2018 for approximately $2500-$3000.

P.S. If you'll be at CES 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada, stop by the Kodak Booth #20612 in South Hall Tech East to see a working prototype of the camera and get a demo of the KODAK Darkroom, your soon-to-be online destination for Super 8 storytelling.

Will2

Post by Will2 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:15 pm

So the price is a little tough considering a really good Super 8 camera & lens can be had for $500 or less, BUT...a good DSL can be in the $2500 range pretty easily and considering the work and tech going into it, its not unreasonable.

Where they can redeem themselves is on the processing and transfer. Do a quality job at a reasonable price and I will use them.

Angus

Post by Angus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Yeah isn't that price about 10x what they quoted at CES in 2016?

I wish Kodak every success but I'm no longer in the market at those prices....I might have been at $400.

The relaunched Ektachrome and possibly the processing are still of interest...depending on price and quality.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)

c-stand

Post by c-stand » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Price is way too high to get the general public interested. Heck, even an enthusiast. Not interested in this camera, but rather the film and processing.

c-stand

Post by c-stand » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Terry_USA wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:21 pm
In Kalamazoo, MI? I’m not surprised. This will be of more interest in urban creative centers like New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and the like.

Ask those same kids if they are interested in Vinyl. I bet you get the same answer. But Vinyl is selling at a 25 year high.