For those with a broken battery door on the Bauer s715xl

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

disjecta

For those with a broken battery door on the Bauer s715xl

Post by disjecta » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:10 am

I've bitched and moaned about this so many times, I'm sure you are all sick of it. When I got my Bauer camera, the plastic clips from the battery door were broken off and I couldn't keep the batteries in because they are spring-loaded. Petteri, another member on this board showed me a fix:

This looked great to me and I came up with my own version of it by using a curling iron stand and drilling two small holes in the handle. It kept the battery door closed but the camera would still only work sporadically. This was really a huge problem for me for a long time. I could no longer rely on my camera to shoot spontaneously because I would still have to jiggle the battery door to get the connection to work.

I was looking at it again today and realized that the plastic battery housing is not the best design. The battery contacts at the top and bottom are uneven and don't seem to make proper contact unless it is in the perfect position. This was the cause of the sporadic operation I soon discovered.

I took the plastic housing out completely and just dropped the batteries in the handle. I then secured the door with the metal stand from the curling iron and presto, it worked. No more jiggling, it pops into motion every time I hit the shutter button.

I'm telling you this in case there is someone out there who is having the same problem. It took me three months to figure out how to do a complete fix so, if you are having the same problem, give this solution a try.

I am very happy to have a reliable camera again.

Steven
My needs are few but very expensive.

Santo

Post by Santo » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:54 am

Thanks for posting this. I just picked one of these up yesterday with a ridiculous "buy it now" of 45 euros (I was the first viewer of the lising) and the only thing wrong with it apparently is this! I couldn't resist. I can hardly wait to get it.

So strange, as I'm sure has been noted before: When new, a major manufacturer's top of the line, latest technology, pro-grade lens (shared with the Beaulieu 7008), big price tag -- and a low-end K-mart camera quality battery door!

bradagua

Re: For those with a broken battery door on the Bauer s715xl

Post by bradagua » Tue May 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Can anyone clarify the "metal stand from the curling iron"?

I just bought one of these cameras from eBay and it will run but only sporadically at best. I'm just trying to picture this solution so I can fix mine too

Gabe Agoado

Re: For those with a broken battery door on the Bauer s715xl

Post by Gabe Agoado » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:04 pm

I'm not sure what they're referring to, but I had the battery door break when I was shooting wildlife footage in Alaska. My solution was to press the door down as tight as possible and wrap some camera tape around the edge of the door and across the handle, and that worked. The batteries last long enough that you won't need to be redoing this too often. If your battery contacts are uneven you could snip off a little wire from the longer one.

It's a great camera otherwise and takes some excellent footage, have fun shooting with it.