Canon 514 XL-S and the Cheese Gear of DOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Aerochrome

Canon 514 XL-S and the Cheese Gear of DOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Post by Aerochrome » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:27 am

My Canon 514 XL-S stopped advancing film the other day, and I opened it up to try and find the problem. Lo and behold I found another one of those orange plastic gears that soften over time (to cheese), rendering the camera useless. I can't find any source of replacement gears online. Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement sound Super-8 Camera? Maybe another in Canon's range that does NOT have the cheese gear of doom?

yolk

Re: Canon 514 XL-S and the Cheese Gear of DOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Post by yolk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi Aerochrome

If the gear is a simple spur gear with a metric module of 0.5 to 1 (scan it on a flat bed scanner together with a ruler) and measure all dimensions with a caliper, count the number of teeth, post this, then I can send you a 3D model that can be 3D printed (SLS selective laser sintering) in nylon at shapeways, materialize or sculpteo. The print will cost you about 5$.
Smaller modules won't work in SLS. Stereolithography prints in finer resolution, but the material isn't really suited for gears.

If it works, you can then post the link to the shapeways file, so anyone can have it printed there.

Best
David