A talk on film for new film users

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

A talk on film for new film users

Post by Will2 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:36 pm

I'm giving a talk in a few weeks with Kodak in Shreveport, Louisiana, USA to new filmmakers that have no experience with film but want to learn.

I'll be assembling an Arri SR2 and letting them shoot a little. Hope it won't scare them away. I'll also show off some inexpensive 16mm and Super 8 cameras; probably bring 35mm as well. I believe Kodak will have some Super 8 cameras for them to run around and shoot for a little.

I'd be interested to hear what you would tell someone getting into film for the first time. Maybe mistakes you made or considerations for people coming from a strictly digital experience.

I'll pull together some workflows from least expensive to best quality so they can understand the process. It must seem overwhelming if you've only every shot DSLR's.

Krasnogorskistan

Re: A talk on film for new film users

Post by Krasnogorskistan » Wed May 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Hey Will,

Good luck with the talk.

The thing that I always try and keep in mind is that movies are about....well, movement! If you can somehow capture dynamism, movement and change with what you shoot you are half way towards creating something interesting. The stills format is almost always just that, making something still, freezing a single moment. While the theory is easy to grasp, putting it into practice requires work and creativity. Once there is film loaded in a camera there is a big temptation for many to 'go looking for a subject' and finding only 'still life' in front of them: how much super8 and other amateur format film have you seen that's garden flowers, or statues, or garden flowers, or statues.....(with a video DSLR this becomes long grass blowing in the wind)... Just capturing the real movement around you, in your own town or city, the cars, fashions and shops is a basic and rewarding first step that not only impresses the importance of capturing change, but gives you time to get on top of the technical side of things while generating images that 'age' really well and give some real pleasure even a handful of years afterwards.

Ed

Pj

Post by Pj » Thu May 18, 2017 9:34 am

The thing I see is that people with little experience of film or those who’ve never used film have all kinds of ideas and notions regarding film. They are often intimidated by it, they are daunted that it’s not immediate, often they are scared of making a mistake and they have heard all sorts of things, like it’s expensive and outdated. I prefer using newer cameras, though I like to start with basic cameras like the Bell and Howells, then the Éclair ACL’s before moving on to something like the Arri 416 with new film and scanning, they are blown away with their results. I tend to avoid using Bolex cameras as I believe they sort of advocate an old era and the complex nature of using film. I like to point out the ease and the low costs that film shooting can have when you plan and are disciplined. I don't advocate film as being old school, but I don't use video cameras in my workshops at all.

Pav

Will2

Post by Will2 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Great advice, thanks.

Kodak's presentation will be good but geared more towards industry people. New filmmakers and small guys may be either overwhelmed or simply confused so my goal is to come in and humanize it for someone who wants to make a short film or shoot a wedding with film. Try to simplify the process as much as possible and be honest about the advantages and disadvantages. Where it makes sense and where it might not make sense to shoot film.