Cinevator: digital to film recorder

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

steve hyde

Cinevator: digital to film recorder

Post by steve hyde » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:29 am

....also, check out this Cinevator: digital to film recorder. Just learned about it myself. Anybody used this thing? Roger?

http://www.cinevation.net/cinevation.ne ... vator&id=8

MovieStuff

Re: Cinevator: digital to film recorder

Post by MovieStuff » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:50 am

Never heard of it but that doesn't mean anything, really. I've got my head in my butt most of the time. But it kinda looks like they are using basically an HD projector and projecting directly to a frame of film, maybe? If not, that's how I would do it on the cheap. It would be really easy to build, conceptually, though there are a lot of things that you'd have to work out if transferring from negative to print stock. But it would certainly be doable. I would imagine that it looks a lot like projecting HD of your transferred film, if I had to guess. I didn't notice any prices and no samples but this is kinda cool, especially for the speed.

Roger

steve hyde

Post by steve hyde » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:44 am

...It's a cool idea. I have a hard time believing that it can produce a good show print in "real time". MAybe in theory. I need to see the goods..

There may be an art to doing this sort of thing: once the post-team gets all the files prepped and optimized to record to film (like an Arri Laser) Maybe a skilled color timer can dial it in... who knows?

Personally I think digital projection is looking great - having seen some amazing digital cinemas (like the AFI Silver in D.C.) Especially for films shot on celluloid cameras. So no need for 35 prints, right?

Problems is theaters like AFI Silver are still rare. And 35mm projectors are everywhere.

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:10 am

..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...

richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:29 am

This unit was written up in an edition of the Kodak magazine 'in camera' about a year ago maybe. The results are said to be very good. It isn't for the very low budget crowd I am afraid. The nice thing about it is that it is possible to do a single positive print with optical sound all in one pass. This is as opposed to requiring an interneg and a sound neg. It is ideal for making a single festival print of video work or for making one print each with sub titles in different languages. Its fancy pants stuff. I'd love to hear a price per minute.
rt
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au

Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:38 pm

This machine is in use in several facilities around the world. I think Nordisk Film in Oslo have one and I've seen one in action at Cineco in Amsterdam.

It's supposed to be a great machine with high quality prints.
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations

francomedici

Post by francomedici » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi Steve, my name is Franco Medici and I am the sales dude at Cinevation, the company that builds the Cinevator. Basically what Roger said is right, we do use a kind of projection system to expose the image in real time. Actually, we use LED as a light source and DLP as imaging device to expose up to native 2K (2048x1556 Academy) images. The Cinevator can record out either negative or positive images, plus expose sound tracks (Analogue, Dolby SR*D, DTS) and subtitles in real time – that’s how you get a release print in real time – we call this process “Direct-to-Print”. From what I have heard from my customers, the images look really great but that’s something you got to assess for yourself. There are more then a dozen Cinevators installed on the planet yet the closest to you problably is at Tunnel Post in Santa Monica, CA. They got one last year and do lots of independent and some studio jobs on it.
www.tunnelpost.com

steve hyde

Post by steve hyde » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:37 pm

Franco,

Thanks for the info. I'm intrigued and would love to see one of the prints. Please keep us posted on where we can see one.

I'll keep you guys in mind as I move forward on new films.

Thanks,

Steve

etimh

Post by etimh » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:44 pm

steve hyde wrote:Personally I think digital projection is looking great...
Well, you are entitled to your opinion. :P

steve hyde wrote:So no need for 35 prints, right?
A "need" for 35 prints? Probably not, in terms of the economic paradigm. But the disappearance of projected film is a going to be a tragedy. Its not about how good or bad it "looks" compared to digital projection (which is shit, by the way). Its about the loss of history, tradition, and the unique experiential phenomenon of film.

Tim
FilmAid International
http://www.filmaid.org