how to do single frame with beaulieu 4008?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jusetan

how to do single frame with beaulieu 4008?

Post by jusetan » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:41 am

Have tried using a simple cable release in the 'single frame' socket, but it hits something and doesn't trigger the camera. Tried it in two different 4008s but can't get it to work.

Is there a trick to doing it right, or is a special cable release needed?
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16mm.2k.transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com

aj

Post by aj » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:23 am

It sure must be a strong driving cable release as it needs more force than a 35mm still camera or such. I not not sure if it needs extra depth like the Beaulieu 5008. This cannot be driven by a standard cable release.
Kind regards,

André

pinata2000

Post by pinata2000 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:03 pm

I had that same problem with my 4008zm, I went with a cable release that had more length and a heck of alot stronger, no problem now :)

MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:30 pm

The Beaulieu uses a concentric thread and not a conical thread. It also requires a deeper plunge than some regular cable releases will allow. You really need a certified Beaulieu cable release. They are generally shaped like the letter "J" and or "L" and have a solid metal tube and are not flexible. The threaded part looks like a small straight tube with threads, as opposed to a standard release that has a cone shape.

Hope this helps.

Roger

jusetan

Post by jusetan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:27 am

cool, just tried a beefier cable release and, voila, single frames!

However, Steve Hyde just tried the same release in his 4008, and all it does it engage the camera to running at the selected frame rate. (yes it was plugged into the single frame hole, not the trigger)...
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16mm.2k.transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com

manuvi

Re: how to do single frame with beaulieu 4008?

Post by manuvi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi everybody,
I'm sorry to re-open this thread after so long time.
I'm planning to buy a 4008 ZMII, but there is some point that I want to clear before buy it.

I read a lot around about single frame shooting. I need it because I'm planning to shoot a little animation, frame by frame.

I read that single frame is achieved with cable release. On the manual, it is expressly written that when you want single frame, the hit on the button release of release cable have to be as short as possible.

My question is:
1) what happen if I'm not so fast?
2) what is the exposure time with this method?
3) there is a way to set (or to know) precisely the exposure time in single frame mode?

Another question: the remote control is purely electrical (release cable is mechanical).
Is possible to achieve frame-by-frame with remote control?
Eventually, I could make a device, I'm an engineer and I have skills, but I dont know any specification about the camera (and it seems hard to find them).

I'm sorry if some of these questions sounds easy, but I'm a beginner in this world.
Thank you for your comments and your advices.