Question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

thebrowniecameraguy

Question

Post by thebrowniecameraguy »

Is it possible to film something in negative film and then re-film that processed film with Kodachrome or Ektachrome and get actual Positive results?

EG: Umm, 200t shot outside or inside with an Elmo 1012sxl then processed and projected and re-filmed in the Elmo using a Kodachrome cartridge at 18 or 24 fps? Projector will be a 5 blade Elmo ST 1200 HD projector with the image projected through a mirror box or silver screen.

Is it a waste of money? If I tried this, it would be my first foray into negative films.

Thanks,
Jordan
I'm back, I'm back- thebrowniecameraguy is back! I still have my Brownie 8mm Turret f/1.9! Time to play!
christoph

Re: Question

Post by christoph »

thebrowniecameraguy wrote:Is it a waste of money? If I tried this, it would be my first foray into negative films.
if you expect normal results then you'll be disapointed for several reasons. first the results will still be negative and second there will be a heavy orange cast. and contrast would be too low as well. and you'd get flicker.

++ christoph ++
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Filming a negative image with reversal film will result in an image that's still negative. You'd have to film it with more negative film.

If it's B&W, it will work. Unless your projector has a means of syncing to the camera (or vice-versa), there'll be considerable flicker, and since you're filming a projection, there'll be light fallout on the edges of the picture. But it will work.

With color, you've got the problem of the base not being clear, as Christoph said. You may be able to use a colored filter to remove much of the orange cast, but you've still got the problem than the film you'd be using to re-film with will have its own orange cast. I suppose it would still work, but the results wouldn't be much better than projecting the negative and pretending its positive.

Ideally, you'd use a print film to get a positive image from a color negative. Apparently one exists, since a printing service for Super 8 just opened recently, but I have no idea where you'd get it.