Advice on shooting k-40

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
GhostDiesel

Advice on shooting k-40

Post by GhostDiesel »

Hi,

I have just bought 10 rolls of kodachrome 40 that a plan to use on my first super 8 shoot on a trip home to south africa. I have a Nizo 801 macro and plan to shoot outdoors during the morning and evening "magic " hours as well as the fierce midday sun. Most of the shooting will be of human subjects and time-lapse sunrise /sunsets. The location will mainly be on the coast with a couple rolls saved for the inland bush. I know k-40 is a daylight balance film and the built in 85 filter should not be used. I have a skylight filter and a lens hood for protection. I plan to use the built in light meter. Is there ANY other advice / opinions that anyone on this forum may have to offer so I don't screw up all 10 of my rolls???

Much appreciated!!
filmbuff

Re: Advice on shooting k-40

Post by filmbuff »

GhostDiesel wrote: I know k-40 is a daylight balance film and the built in 85 filter should not be used.

No! K40 is not a daylight balanced film. You must use the built in 85 filter outdoors unless you want everything tinted blue.
GhostDiesel wrote: I plan to use the built in light meter. Is there ANY other advice / opinions that anyone on this forum may have to offer so I don't screw up all 10 of my rolls???
Is your built in meter known to be accurate? If not its best to shoot a test roll to make sure before you go.

Also even though K40 is a slow speed film ideal for bright daylight, you may want to carry a ND filter with you just in case some circumstances are too bright even for K40.
GhostDiesel

Post by GhostDiesel »

Ok, let me get this right. If I shoot WITHOUT a 85 filter, then the ASA is 40. With a 85 filter, the ASA is 25?? As far as image quality goes, using a 85 filter as opposed to without, renders better results? Also, when shooting indoors, the 85 filter is taken off?

Thanks again for your help!!
filmbuff

Post by filmbuff »

Yes is ASA 40 without and you use ASA 25 outdoors with the filter.
As far as image quality goes, using a 85 filter as opposed to without, renders better results?
Well, you HAVE to use an 85 filter outdoors in daylight if want natural colors using K40.

And yes indoors under artificial light you film without the 85 filter.

Doesn't the Nizo 801 have a switch with a "sun" symbol and "lamp" symbol? Makes it easy, just put it on sun outdoors and lamp indoors when using K40.
GhostDiesel

Post by GhostDiesel »

thanks filmbuff, appreciate the help and advice. My Nizo does have that switch, which I'll use. I just wanted the process and reasoning to be clear in my head!

Anyway, if there are any other tips you have, I'm all ears.

Thanks again.
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Basically the filter balances out teh color, so if you use the lamp one for inside you'll get more of a blueish tone and the opposite if you use it inside. You could use this effect for cinematic reasons you know to make it seem warmer or colder. Just run tests and use a slate board before telling you what exactly the test is or you could try to see difference automatically using a DV camcorder (which is called white balance on video).