Carena AG Super8 Projector

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Lunar07

Carena AG Super8 Projector

Post by Lunar07 »

The other day I got a Carena AG Super 8 sound projector for $15 since the projector needed some repairs. I have never seen a Carena projector before. And I must say, I was not prepared for what I got. This thing SCREAMS quality in every piece of it. The spindles are solid chrome to the last detail. The speaker and line-in have XLR Balanced connections. It is a masterly work of design. I am truly impressed. Has anyone seen or used a Carena projector? I wonder if there are any links on the web for pages that have information on the Carena products.
unxetas

Post by unxetas »

wow I've never heard of it but I'd certainly like some pics ;)
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

unxetas wrote:wow I've never heard of it but I'd certainly like some pics ;)
I will if I can get a digital camera. I tried the projector today. It is fully working :-D but it needs a light bulb. I believe it is the Carena 8S8 model. There is one DIN connection on the back that I can not figure out, but I believe it is for a remote control unit. The problem with this projector (and hence its cheap price) was that the takeup spindle was not rotating on forward. I turned the projector on and rotated the spindle by hand and that was all there is to it. The spindle started rotating slowly at first then gained in speed as I left the projector on for a while. And there in front of me was a fully working impressive projector. Compared to other projectors I have seen, this thing looks like a Rolls Royce in comparison. Even the lens on it is a Kern SWITAR 12.5-25mm projection lens.
I am aware of the Carena company because I have two of their regular 8 cameras. The Carena Zoomex with the Angenieux lens and auto/manual exposure, and the Gevaert Carena that takes one d-mount lens. These are well made nicely done cameras, but I never saw a Carena projector before I got that one. I wish I can get some documentation on it.
jean

Post by jean »

My guess is that Carena was more a trading brand than a manufacturer, and had their products built by other companies. Depending on the marketing strategy it can be top-end products, built to very tight specs and tolerances by the chosen manufacturer. Cosina is one of those companies that build stuff for the entire photo industry, and I remember that virtually every notebook from the major brands comes out of the same factory in the far east.

I'd look around at other projectors, especially cosina, but also bauer, eumig, whatever.. some design peculiarities are shared throughout several product generations, so you maybe recognize the original manufacturer and then a manual!
have fun!
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

The other Carena post led me to this one. If it was made for them by another company it might well have been Silma in Italy who became the biggest european manufacturer, and I believe actually made all the late Eumigs/Bolexes and even the cheaper Fumeos!

Mark
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Just found this:
so it looks like they only built the one projector which they did build themselves- looks a nice bit of kit. Has anyone got the book of projectors this came from and id it worth the (lot of) money?

Mark
Zalman

Re: Carena AG Super8 Projector

Post by Zalman »

Lunar07 wrote:The other day I got a Carena AG Super 8 sound projector for $15 since the projector needed some repairs. I have never seen a Carena projector before. And I must say, I was not prepared for what I got. This thing SCREAMS quality in every piece of it. The spindles are solid chrome to the last detail. The speaker and line-in have XLR Balanced connections. It is a masterly work of design. I am truly impressed. Has anyone seen or used a Carena projector? I wonder if there are any links on the web for pages that have information on the Carena products.
I have a Carena 8S8 projector too.
Could somebody provide me with InstructionManual and perhaps electrical layout?
Thx.
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

Hey Sparky,

if you are publishing copyright protected material from my book MOVIE PROJECTOR you should ask to do so in advance. And you should mention the source of your posting.

Juergen

Even in internet times not everything is for free...
http://www.atollmedien.de
the books about all cameras and projectors ever built
retroman

Post by retroman »

:D Hi Juergen,

I do not understand why your claiming here

a huge amount of photos of your book are also taken by you from other guys, without asking them...... :D :D

so play a fair game

retroman