Zenit Quarz 1x8C-2

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

coors

Zenit Quarz 1x8C-2

Post by coors »

I recently sold a Beaulieu 1008 XL (my first Super8 camera... purchased about a month ago) and I've been wondering if I had made a big mistake in doing so.
A couple of days ago, the above "Russian" movie camera arrived and I am so glad I bought this one! I really thought that this camera would be a flimsy, tinny kind of construction... like some of the "Russian" 35mm still cameras that I've owned. Not so... this thing reminds me exactly of the Nikon F4s that I owned at one time (and should not have sold!). In order to destroy this cameras body, you would have to use some kind of anti-tank weapon. Featurewise, the only things that the Beaulieu has that this camera doesn't is a fade button and electric motor drive for long takes and an eyepiece shutter. Here are the Zenit Quarz 1x8C-2's fully wound clockwork motor times for each shutter speed setting:

32fps - 23 seconds
24fps - 29 seconds
18fps - 38 seconds
12fps - 59 seconds
9fps - 74 seconds or 1min14secs

These times were taken from my sample camera. I re-did these tests several times and they were accurate to the second, each time.

The one useful thing that the Zenit/Quarz has, that the Beaulieu (1008 XL) does not, is a seperate threaded hole for the supplied cable release. It is for single shot/animation and timelapse (!). The shutter button is threaded as well for locking the camera in the running mode (just what I need if I end up being my own subject in a movie... as I suspect I will), etc...
The real test will be the final image quality. I still have not bought a lightmeter or any film as of yet, but I'm working on that! If all goes well and IF I like what I see from the processed results, then I might start looking for a mechanical intervalometer for this one.

I really wish that I could get a set of prime lenses for this camera's mount. I thought that this camera might have a "D-mount", but I found out it does not. It's lens mount has about a 23mm diameter. This mount may well be one of the former soviet union's own and unique designs.

Owen
Jean Poirier

Post by Jean Poirier »

Ordered one last week. I read it could be ideal to use with an anamorphic lens (zoom is detachable). Hope your test will be fine. Jean
coors

Post by coors »

Well, I just secured a lightmeter (Sekonic L-398). Thank you, eBay!
Now, all I need is some K40... can someone tell me the best place to purchase Super8 K40 filmstock in the USA/North America?

Hi Jean,
Are you saying that there is an anamorphic lens that will screw into the cameras mount after removing the zoom lens?

Owen
monobath

Post by monobath »

It's good that you got a light meter. I've found that the built-in automatic exposure meter on my Quarz is inaccurate. I get much better results by metering independently and manually setting the aperture.

The image quality on my Quarz is very good, and I appreciate not needing batteries.
monobath

Post by monobath »

Forgot to mention, the best place to purchase Super8 K40 in USA is direct from Kodak. In my opinion, anyway. Some people prefer to support local camera stores that are willing to stock Super8 film. Check the camera stores in your area if you are interested in that.

You can buy K40 for around 11.85 or so without processing mailers, or for 13.54 with the prepaid processing mailers.

Search the forum and you'll find numerous posts that supply the Kodak direct order phone number and the CAT number for the K40 with processing mailers. Sorry I don't have them handy at the moment. I also found them posted on Kodak's website somewhere...
Old Uncle Barry

Post by Old Uncle Barry »

The lens mount is a 'C' mount and you can use suitable lenses from 16mm cameras EXCEPT Bolex range.I mated a scope lens toan old c-mount savaged from a defunct lens.To see how I did it click onto "Great Ideas" and you will be enlightened.
coors

Post by coors »

Thanks for that, Monobath! Myself, I live in the US and I was wanting to try out the Walmart drop-off processing thing. I dunno... maybe mailers are the best way?!

Uncle Barry, You say these cameras are c-mount? I thought that I read (never believe anything you read) recently that the c-mount thread diamater equals 25.4mm. I'm just barely getting a 23mm reading from the zoom lenses mount(top of the thread groove)... I'll recheck it. Am I missing something obvious? I mean, if this thing is truly a c-mount... then that is some GREAT news to me! Of course any lens I put on the camera will probably have to be collimated!?!... yes?

Owen
coors

Post by coors »

Uncle Barry,
How do i "click" on "great ideas"?

Owen
Old Uncle Barry

On the browser column of this website where it says 'Great Ideas',this will give you several sub headings and mine is in there referring to Quartz/anamorphics.
coors

Post by coors »

Hey, that is great news! Thanks for sharing this, Uncle Barry! I'd really enjoy having a set of primes for this camera.

Owen
Old Uncle Barry

Just to whet your appetite,the Moeller anamorphas fitted tomy Quartz give stunning,pin sharp,wall to wall resolution,so the 'captive' objective lens in the camera itself must be pretty damn good too! So,find yourself a lens that will focus to this and you are in business!
coors

Post by coors »

I'll be darned... I just measured the mount again and it's 1" (25.4mm)! How do you suppose that it grew so fast since I measured it yesterday?

Ummmm... I don't really know what an anamorphic lens is... or what it does.

Owen
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Old Uncle Barry wrote:The lens mount is a 'C' mount and you can use suitable lenses from 16mm cameras EXCEPT Bolex range.I mated a scope lens toan old c-mount savaged from a defunct lens.To see how I did it click onto "Great Ideas" and you will be enlightened.
I read ur ideas. If you remove the zoom lens, you mention that it is a supplemetary lens. I did not get that point. Do you mean that there is a fixed focus lens with the zoom lens sitting on top of it?
mattias

Re: Zenit Quarz 1x8C-2

Post by mattias »

coors wrote:Quarz 1x8C-2
ha, here we go again. that's quartz 1x8s-2 (or kbapu 1x8c-2). :-)

/matt
mattias

Post by mattias »

other than that. i still haven't been able to remove the lens from my 3ehnt. it's completely stuck, even with the help of tools and some force. i'm assuming it's the innermost ring and that it should be turned counter clockwise like any screw mount, right? any suggestions?

/matt