Ektachrome Is Back!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

BAC

Ektachrome Is Back!

Post by BAC »

doug

Re: Ektachrome Is Back!

Post by doug »

Fantastic ! :ymhug:
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

I saw this on Instagram today and it was the best news I’ve heard in a very, very, long time.
BAC

Post by BAC »

I bought a few rolls of the 35mm slide film that is available for pre-order from Freestyle Photo. It sounds like it will be $40 per cartridge for Super 8.
doug

Post by doug »

BAC wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:55 am I bought a few rolls of the 35mm slide film that is available for pre-order from Freestyle Photo. It sounds like it will be $40 per cartridge for Super 8.
I've still got Ektachrome in my freezer so probably won't be buying for a little while. I'm sure many of us will be greatly interested in your experience. Hope you can tell us how it compares with the older stock. It will be highly tempting though to try the new super-8 ;)
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

I hope it will come as 16 soon. Just the thought of Ektachrome running through the projector makes me shiver.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

The first week of October the Super 8 cat# and price should be announced. I was told 16mm will be released as soon as S8 is successfully marketed. Look for new product announcements on the Kodak website.
doug

Post by doug »

With 16mm it will be interesting the new price :-w
Hopefully they'll do it in 100ft daylight rolls again. If not then 400ft cores. I've never really understood though why 400ft cores of film aren't that much cheaper than four 100ft's, when you consider that they give you handy spools as well as probably more footage for loading that can be used with care for shooting.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

Regards to the price difference between 100' and 400', I would say Kodak wants to encourage people with the semi pro cameras to keep shooting film.
With the prediction of the Super 8 cartridge being US$40, maybe US$60 for a roll of 16mm would be likely? If that was the case, 16mm is by far the better value format.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Silverdream wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:56 am Regards to the price difference between 100' and 400', I would say Kodak wants to encourage people with the semi pro cameras to keep shooting film.
With the prediction of the Super 8 cartridge being US$40, maybe US$60 for a roll of 16mm would be likely? If that was the case, 16mm is by far the better value format.
16mm is always going to be better because you have more of a bigger format to work with !
downside bigger heavy camera to carry around & not so easy to film on the fly / then loading a new film .
Just happy we have a E6 film back , what is cheap theses days ?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england- ... of-super-8
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

5 cart max on ordering. $40 each. nice to have ektachrome colour reversal back but you cant even shoot a feature with that amount.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Here's a test of the new Ektachrome by the Man !

Just happy it's back . Can't see much difference to the last 100D .

https://mimundoensuper-8.blogspot.com/2 ... aluda.html
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

colors look great.
cant quite tell if the registration issue is in the camera or telecine.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

The price is confirmed as $39.99 per cartridge on Kodak's US product list. That's an introductory price, whatever that means.
If pricing of the other film types is followed it means 16mm is likely to be $60 per 100' roll.
I suppose this gives me the opportunity for another rant about pricing. :(
Kodak's Super 8 format was meant to be an affordable film system, and it was until the death of Kodachrome. Process prepaid K40 for a reasonable price was so good. Now Super 8 is a money hungry leech at every step.
Consider the price difference between the 16mm and Super 8 film stocks.
There is 200% more film in the 16mm version yet there is just a 50% increase in price. Sure, processing the 16mm will be twice the price, but it's still far better value than Super 8, not to mention the superior image quality.
I really can't see why Super 8 film is priced so high and I do think Kodak should reconsider all their Super 8 film prices. One third to half the price of a 100' roll of 16mm per Super 8 cartridge would be fair. For example if this new Ektachrome was priced between $20 - $30 it would bring back a lot more film users and let current users shoot more of the stuff. That's got to be good for Kodak's bottom line and image.
Having said all that, I commend Kodak for bringing out this new film, and I hope they can continue making film for a long time.
BAC

Post by BAC »

Just ordered 5 rolls, I’m back in Super 8!