RetroScan Universal 2k problem

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8ryder

RetroScan Universal 2k problem

Post by S8ryder »

Hi there all Universal users,

I have had my machine for two months now and I am very happy about the quality of the machine and the quality capture you can get from it. I had a Somikon HD-XL (Wolverine type) scanner before so I really appreciate the quality this unit produces.
However I have one problem with the set up which is diving me a bit frustrated since day one, and I have talked with Roger about it but he doesn´t seem to have an idea of what is causing this problem.
The problem is that when I am previewing the film in "TrueView" mode, that is the high quality monitoring when to set the focus, the program crashes. Sometimes after just a few seconds, sometimes after several minutes. I have tried three different PCs and all of them are behaving the same. My new desktop PC is a high spec machine with SSD for system and RAID-0 drives for capturing. It does not matter in what resolution the camera is set or compressed or uncompressed, it still crashes in Preview/ TrueView mode. It does not matter if I use one monitor or two (extended desktop).
I have no problem with capture if I don´t use the TruView mode.

Does any other Universal user have this problem?

Kurt
MovieStuff

Re: RetroScan Universal 2k problem

Post by MovieStuff »

The reason we don’t know - and the reason no one else is likely to know - is because the TruView function is through a third party graphics library. As such, we can’t look under the hood to see why it works on some systems and not on others. It’s a head scratcher because this library has been used previously with no problems. Indeed, the previous function (called “Focus” in the older software) was actually stable but used a previous version of the library. We updated because of some new features we wanted for the 2k version of RetroScan so we can’t go back. But The latest version of the graphics library seems to have this stability issue for some people.

So what the RetroScan author Jeff is currently doing is writing his own TruView version from scratch so we don’t have to use the third party graphics library. That will allow him to get “under the hood” and make necessary attenuations which then should be stable on all systems.

Roger
S8ryder

Post by S8ryder »

Thanks Roger, really looking forward to be able to run the full screen monitor all the time when when doing capture. Wishing Jeff good luck with his work. I am eager to try when you have a beta version ready.

Kurt
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Okay, just uploaded a new 4.0.9 version that addresses the pesky TrueView stability issue. As it turns out, the third part graphics library used for the TrueView window was simply too unstable on some PCs. And since we could not get under the hood of the library to access the code to address it properly, we had to abandon it. Instead, the main capture window has been changed to allow for scaling. When the software is maximized to fill the screen, the capture window will now scale as well with an increase in resolution. While the resulting window isn't as big as the TrueView window, it is perfectly stable and plenty big enough to accommodate fine focusing and framing. There are added advantages in that you don't need a separate monitor, even if you are doing 2K captures, since the 2K image is properly scaled to fit into the capture window without affecting clarity. Also, the scaled window now allows for a larger view of your files on playback, which was not possible even when TrueView was stable, since TrueView was for capture only.

In the future, we may again offer a separate high resolution window that can be used on a second monitor but, for now, this is the solution we are offering in replacement of TrueView, may it rest in piece. :)

The new 4.0.9 software is on the website support page

http://www.moviestuff.tv/universal_support_page.html

New instructions, too.

Roger