Damaged (flooded) 8mm film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Ronb

Damaged (flooded) 8mm film

Post by Ronb »

I have a 200ft reel of a 1950 film. Unfortunately it got flooded a few years ago and is now very mouldy! If you try to rub the mold off, the image comes off too! So any cleaning using a rubbing technique won't work. How can I "fix" the image before cleaning?

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I can "fix" the negative before any wiping or cleaning is done? Thanks, Ron
silverhalide

Re: Damaged (flooded) 8mm film

Post by silverhalide »

Yikes. This post stresses me out big time.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

You have to put the film in a vacuum chamber and take the film to an extreme vacuum. Ideally you need a freeze dry unit. basically you freeze the film then use a vacuum to remove the moisture. As the pressure goes down the boiling point of water lowers to where even ice will vaporize. The moisture is frozen then sucked off the film by a high vacuum. freeze dry machines are available for a few hundred. Also there are companies that can remove moisture from items for a price. Have fun---
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Have washed many films, flooded footage full of mud, you know, fine sand and else. Now your film seems to be damaged by the mold (fungus) in such a manner that the gelatine bond to the base is attacked. Coating coming off is about the worst state. You cannot fix the image before cleaning.

You can try to dip it in cold water, shortly, just long enough to wash the layer without pressure, wipe it off gently between the folds of a damp viscose sponge cloth, and let it dry. Very critical story, it seems to me.

If the dirt on the film is not hard mineral debris, clean it with rubbing alcohol between the layers of a velvet cloth. Rub the cloth clean often, far away from the film, do not apply pressure more than your hand simply resting on the cloth, pull film slowly enough so that the liquid can evaporate before the windings come together. Once clean, you can inspect the images. Professional cleaning is on machines that apply ultrasonic energy in a solvent such as perchloroethylene.
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

I had a similar problem with old film and used kodak film cleaner. It does remove mold and dirt. suggest to try a small strip to see the results. wont be a 100% clear image but enough to digitize it.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I would try submerging a short test piece of the film in FilmRenew for at least a month then see is the film can be cleaned by saturating with FilmRenew a film cleaning cloth such as a Webril Wipe gently folded over the film and using light pressure as you pull the film through it. I have done this to successfully remove mold and restore elasticity. If the emulsion is still coming off, yikes is right. I would then give the process John talked about using vacuum and freezing methods. Good luck.
Ronb

Post by Ronb »

Thanks guys,
However was hoping someone would come up with a "soak and wash in film renew, then flush with xxxx chemical that will refix and stabilise the emulsion". Any ideas on "refixing" the emulsion?
Ron