Kodak prices

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mr8mm

Re: Kodak prices

Post by mr8mm »

I believe Kodak has a contract with the studios to supply 35mm and motion picture quality film at a guaranteed price because the studios have agreed to underwrite film production. In other words at the time of the bankruptcy Kodak was considering discontinuing film production and the motion picture studios agreed to step in and support film manufacturing or something like that.
Phil_F_NM

Post by Phil_F_NM »

You're right on your student price for a cartridge of Super 8.

Phil Forrest
doug

Post by doug »

mr8mm wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:39 pm I believe Kodak has a contract with the studios to supply 35mm and motion picture quality film at a guaranteed price because the studios have agreed to underwrite film production. In other words at the time of the bankruptcy Kodak was considering discontinuing film production and the motion picture studios agreed to step in and support film manufacturing or something like that.
That's interesting and hope you're right...
I was rather shocked to see their still film prices have gone up again.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Kodak is pricing "film" out of existence. Only the big studios can afford to use film.
doug

Post by doug »

mr8mm wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:38 am Kodak is pricing "film" out of existence. Only the big studios can afford to use film.
I can't really see this. The film stock is a tiny part of the budget on most movies. Whether to use it or not is mainly the decision of the producers etc, based on the easiest way of making the movie, including effects. Also to a certain extent on the final look desired, which in most cases will be as digital projection anyway. On the other hand there must be a some consideration on whether the movie is worth originating on film purely as an archival medium.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

My guess is the recent price increases have something to do with the impending release of the new Ektachrome 7297. Kodak likes to keep all the S8 prices about the same. That would mean that the new E100 will be priced around $30-$35.00. Not sure how the new camera will fit into this picture.