What have you been working on lately?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Daniel

Re: What have you been working on lately?

Post by Daniel »

Here is the link of the Music Video I mentionned
before in this thread:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UaQgtLYDxFc
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Well, outside of helping people get out of DUIs and fight orders of protection...I haven't been doing much at all.

After a long stint in Seattle and some soul searching I made the difficult choice to leave my career in Cinematography behind. I moved back to Montana and went to law school.

All that said. I am hoping to dust off the cameras soon enough and rejoin filmmaking not as a professional that needs a paycheck but as an Amateur in the true sense of the word. Someone that loves film and has a desire to use it as a personal creative outlet.

Good Luck
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Good to see you back Nigel.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

T-Scan

It is good to be back. How is PDX life?

Good Luck
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Reassembled a cheap italian Double-Eight film camera after complete pull-apart. It smells a little from the phenolic resin glue with which the decorative covers were put on. That stuff is tenacious!
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Nigel wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:14 pm T-Scan

It is good to be back. How is PDX life?

Good Luck
Pretty good. Have a wife, 2 kids and a house now. Shooting S8 of my kids, doing local music video and scan work in my basement studio. Have plenty of room if your ever back this way to visit-
Reborn member since Sept 2003
grainy

Post by grainy »

I got a grant from the Interbay Film Society here in Seattle that covered my film scan by Lightpress, so I shot a super 8 short over the winter.

"The Boulevard of Semi Reconstructed Dreams" is currently in post production.

I am very happy to have gotten get this opportunity!

Also have another feature out, not on film but hey, I'm doing my best. Munch had to paint on cardboard; I can handle it.
Lake Street Detective played at the Grand Illusion Cinema here last month, we're working on a sort of DIY indie theater exhibition plan.
More info if anyone's interested, is on my nifty new website. www.grotonbridgefilms.com

Best regards
Grainy
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Congrats Grainy! Great news.

Look forward to hear more about your Super8 projects.

Best,
Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Yesterday I disassembled a clip-on mount 1½ inch, f/3.5 lens for Bell & Howell Filmo 8s. It bears the name TELATE and is a Wollensak. It was also available with the ⅝"-32 thread. B. & H. defined an A, a B, a C, and a D mount for their cameras, the latter two are better known.

This lens is a triplet with rather thick positive elements, non-coated. Unfortunately, the iris mechanics are not well made, nine bronze leaves with little stamped-out crowns, so to speak. Once damaged, a leaf is not easily repaired. All in all that Wollensak cannot be compared to other makes. Berthiot made that kind of iris, too, not with all of their lenses.

For all those who have a Filmo Straight Eight or Double Run Eight wishing to enhance their lens kit, stay away from the one mentioned above. Taylor-Hobson are preferable. The Filmo 8 cameras themselves are very well made, well serviceable, and durable. After a professional service they run for another 82 years. That’s the age of the oldest Filmo Eight.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Mmechanic wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 am Yesterday I disassembled a clip-on mount 1½ inch, f/3.5 lens for Bell & Howell Filmo 8s. It bears the name TELATE and is a Wollensak. It was also available with the ⅝"-32 thread. B. & H. defined an A, a B, a C, and a D mount for their cameras, the latter two are better known.

This lens is a triplet with rather thick positive elements, non-coated. Unfortunately, the iris mechanics are not well made, nine bronze leaves with little stamped-out crowns, so to speak. Once damaged, a leaf is not easily repaired. All in all that Wollensak cannot be compared to other makes. Berthiot made that kind of iris, too, not with all of their lenses.

For all those who have a Filmo Straight Eight or Double Run Eight wishing to enhance their lens kit, stay away from the one mentioned above. Taylor-Hobson are preferable. The Filmo 8 cameras themselves are very well made, well serviceable, and durable. After a professional service they run for another 82 years. That’s the age of the oldest Filmo Eight.
So the lens is just 3 elements huh? I've got a Yvar c-mount like that. Were you able to get it back together nice and clean? I'm still having trouble getting them back together without leaving fingerprints on any of the elements.
alexmuir

Post by alexmuir »

slashmaster wrote:
Mmechanic wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:03 am Yesterday I disassembled a clip-on mount 1½ inch, f/3.5 lens for Bell & Howell Filmo 8s. It bears the name TELATE and is a Wollensak. It was also available with the ⅝"-32 thread. B. & H. defined an A, a B, a C, and a D mount for their cameras, the latter two are better known.

So the lens is just 3 elements huh? I've got a Yvar c-mount like that. Were you able to get it back together nice and clean? I'm still having trouble getting them back together without leaving fingerprints on any of the elements.
Are you wearing gloves for the re-assembly? It makes things a bit easier, although I can imagine the glass parts are really small and gloves may not be possible. I've only worked on lenses for larger formats where gloves are a great help.
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

alexmuir wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:46 pm
slashmaster wrote:

Are you wearing gloves for the re-assembly? It makes things a bit easier, although I can imagine the glass parts are really small and gloves may not be possible. I've only worked on lenses for larger formats where gloves are a great help.
Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
No, I've been using the disposable wipes from a lens cleaning kit to hold them. Are you talking about thin cotton gloves? Or the non powdered plastic ones? Either way, if you know a site or video on how to do it well I'd love to see it.
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Yes, I understand a three-elements lens by triplet. The Cooke triplet lens.

The point about cleanliness with photographic lenses is not dust but veil. One has to avoid grease in any case. I sometimes wear nitrile fingerstalls or cotton gloves with larger lenses, the small ones I pick with tweezers and a cotton swab. It can take a while to get rid of particles and cotton linters but someone once invented the brush.

The lenses must find their seats in the barrel. Suction cups are helpful for twisting a lens on its seat. The glass is quite round, barrels are often found out of round.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Just finished a B&W jazz music video that was supposed to be Double-X 16mm but we had to go digital...Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. Curse the fact that everything costs money!!
doug

Post by doug »

Shooting a WW1 period drama that involves a scene in a corn field just before harvesting. I just needed 2 closeups of the legs of one character against the wheat, so I planned to simply shoot mine. I found a good field a week ago and worked out the positioning of Bolex H16 and so on, and waited for the right weather. Yesterday was perfect as I wanted it without direct sun, and felt optimistic. When I arrived the combine harvester had just done the job !
So I searched around for another uncut crop, and after an hour luckily found one. Got into soldier's uniform, pressed the release at 'continuous' and Action ! Today hope to flash the footage, post off...then the long wait...
Doug
www.filmisfine.co