Ektachrome returns

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

pip

Ektachrome returns

Post by pip »

Kodak appear to have announced that Ektachrome will be available again in Super 8 later this year!
inlieubeaulieu

Re: Ektachrome returns

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

here's the official Kodak announcement (although technical details seem scant): http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/Press_c ... efault.htm
Angus

Post by Angus »

Fantastic news. Really fantastic.

I'm sure it will come at a price, but this is excellent news....even if the details are sketchy.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

This is great news! There's no mention of what speed, or how many versions they will make. Just that they are "reformulating" the Ektachrome emulsion. Which could mean a 50ASA daylight film and a 160T film? And since E100D is 1999 technology, hopefully the new ektachrome stocks will be sharper :)
Reborn member since Sept 2003
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

This is wonderful news. I hope Ferrania will be able to introduce a competitive product to help keep prices tolerable. I wonder what the chances are for 100D in regular 8mm and DS8.
BAC

Post by BAC »

sciolist wrote:I wonder what the chances are for 100D in regular 8mm and DS8.
That's what I'm hopping for. I'm starting to run low on my current stock. I also just shot my last cart of E100D last year.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Tscan wrote:This is great news! There's no mention of what speed, or how many versions they will make. Just that they are "reformulating" the Ektachrome emulsion. Which could mean a 50ASA daylight film and a 160T film? And since E100D is 1999 technology, hopefully the new ektachrome stocks will be sharper :)
Nothing wrong with 90,s tech in fact in someways thing's where alot better take look at the cameras & HI Fi from then .
Happy that 100D is back love this film :ymapplause:
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Couldn't be better news! I would be perfectly happy with the E100D film, but if they can improve on that... bring it on. I just reloaded the last half roll of 100ft E100D in my Bolex H-8 I purchased from John Schwind. I thought this would be the last Ektachrome I ever filmed with.. If it can be available in 100ft rolls of DS8mm I will be a very, very happy film nut. I also look forward to shooting slides.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

sciolist wrote:This is wonderful news. I hope Ferrania will be able to introduce a competitive product to help keep prices tolerable. I wonder what the chances are for 100D in regular 8mm and DS8.
Kodak no longer has a regular-8 perforator of any kind, according to my contact there. We talked about it maybe 6 months ago. I believe they scrapped them when they closed the Windsor, CO facility. I tried to get them to buy Wittner's Buko perforator, but they had no interest.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Silverhalide is correct. There is no chance the "new" Kodak will produce Ektachrome in reg 8 or DS8. It will be interesting to see if they produce it as 16mm or 35mm. If 35mm, Edward Nowill in UK can slit and perf as reg 8 but you will be paying big bucks. And if they produce as 16mm for $20,000 they might sell as unperf'ed as special order. Then it has to be sent to Europe to be perforated. More big bucks.

The latest announcement from Ferrania seems to indicate that the first batch will be 35mm. It will be interesting to see what the quality is like.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

It will be interesting to see if the film is sold with processing or without processing included. I am sure that Dwayne's, Spectra and Pro-8 would prefer without processing.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Judging by the graphics on Kodak Alaris' website, and the word going around the still shooting sites.....the smart money is on a 100ISO product for super 8 being reintroduced to offer when the new Kodak camera is made available towards the end of this year.

Kodak Alaris (the consumer film arm of EK) has agreed to distribute the film in 135 format.

Of course over on APUG I see people practically demanding 120, sheet film and so on....baby steps...we've got Ektachrome back, which is a minor miracle in itself. If we all do our but and buy some....maybe more formats and speeds will follow.

I hope this doesn't adversely affect Ferrania, who are also hoping to introduce a 100ISO colour reversal E6 film.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

''Kodak no longer has a regular-8 perforator of any kind, according to my contact there. We talked about it maybe 6 months ago. I believe they scrapped them when they closed the Windsor, CO facility. I tried to get them to buy Wittner's Buko perforator, but they had no interest''

Bit misleading, in this promo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAJCN2TfCGw an 8mm camera is clearly seen!!
doug

Post by doug »

Wonderful news for the New Year ! :) :) :)
It makes up for some of the global gloom we have all come to expect for 2017...
Doug
www.filmisfine.co