Samples from In My Image 4k scan - down to HD

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Scotness

Samples from In My Image 4k scan - down to HD

Post by Scotness »

So I picked up all of the rolls and the 4K scan of In My Image from Miles yesterday - all 2 terrabytes of it - I think each 400 foot roll took 15 hours or something to transfer :-o

So anyway I've had a quick play - and it's all pretty promising - but wow - what a lot of work - remastering this is a project that's going to take a few years - and then there's the audio of course too.....

Miles has posted about his set up before - it's his GH4 on one of Roger's machines - so what I've got is a lot of still images at 4096 x 2304 and here's a quick clip showing what I've been able to do with it and what the work process is like.

I am completely open to advice - I'll write a lengthier piece detailing each step shortly, but this is a good clip now - it's really pushing the limits of the resolution I think - and I'm keen to get as good as quality as possible at the end result.

Cropping in to 16:9 is something I'm not 100% sold on yet, but I prefer that to 4:3 - although that's what we framed and shot the film in. Cropping in will also remove the vinjetting which we had no idea we were getting when we were filming :-s

Remember this is only a rough pass/first go - it's what happens after the stabilisation before the final render that's critical and I don't want to do anything that degrades the image. I think I'll do the re-edit based on what I've got after the stabilisation stage, and then get really honed up on colour correction etc before I do anything else with it from there.

Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Scotness

Re: Samples from In My Image 4k scan - down to HD

Post by Scotness »

I'm thinking at this stage I might keep it as 4:3 and just crop in (at the same aspect ratio) on the shots that have vinjetting, to get past that. The degreee you have to crop in to make it 16:9 means I'm probably at the same resolution as regular 8 or less?? And it's probably nice keeping it at the same aspect ratio we shot and framed it on --- not sure -- some scenes that require sever stabilistion might be best at 16:9 if the reframing has to zoom in a lot to keep it stable! Sadly we had alot of jitter carts :(( - can't remember how many but it was too many! :ymdevil:
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

And here's Miles hard at work! I'm not saying all that transferring can get to you, but.....

slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Yes, keep it 4:3.
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Great seeing it with the sound sync- Impressed with that warp stabilizer to - i think that first appears in after effects 5.5 or 6-we have to get that i reckon B-)
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I'd definitely vote to keep it in 4:3. Not only is that the aspect ratio you filmed in, it will look the best and there is nothing wrong with 4:3 even for filming today.
avortex

Post by avortex »

David M. Leugers wrote:I'd definitely vote to keep it in 4:3. Not only is that the aspect ratio you filmed in, it will look the best and there is nothing wrong with 4:3 even for filming today.
+1
Your film has been shot for 4:3, so 4:3 is the only possible answer.
Years ago, widescreen films got visually mutilated with Pan-and-scan and other horrors. Don't do those terribles things to your movie! :)
Marc
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

avortex wrote:
David M. Leugers wrote:I'd definitely vote to keep it in 4:3. Not only is that the aspect ratio you filmed in, it will look the best and there is nothing wrong with 4:3 even for filming today.
+1
Your film has been shot for 4:3, so 4:3 is the only possible answer.
Years ago, widescreen films got visually mutilated with Pan-and-scan and other horrors. Don't do those terribles things to your movie! :)

I completely agree!.. Use as much of that frame as you possibly can! Being that super 8 is slightly wider than 4:3 it wouldn't bother me if you did 1.36 to 1 instead of 1.33
RyanH

Post by RyanH »

I hope you made sure to use the electronic shutter on the camera and not the mechanical one, otherwise you are going to kill your mechanism in a hurry doing this.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

I vote for 16x9. ;) You would crop the current image quite a bit, but if you do a detailed job you can really get some nice framing that fits modern screens really well - more work though.
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

RyanH wrote:I hope you made sure to use the electronic shutter on the camera and not the mechanical one, otherwise you are going to kill your mechanism in a hurry doing this.
Oh yeah - Miles did use the electronic one!
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Andreas Wideroe wrote:I vote for 16x9. ;) You would crop the current image quite a bit, but if you do a detailed job you can really get some nice framing that fits modern screens really well - more work though.
I agree Andreas that in principal the framing would work, but I reckon based on the example there it just gets a bit too grainly/low res by the time you have cropped all the way in - and for that reason I think I'll keep it at 4:3

Scot
mattias

Post by mattias »

There's no 16:9 film format what is this a TV show? I vote for 1.85:1. :)
mattias

Post by mattias »

Seriously though not letterboxed, use 2k 1998x1080.
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

mattias wrote:There's no 16:9 film format what is this a TV show? I vote for 1.85:1. :)
Ha! Yeah I agree 16:9 isn't really film - I'd love to crop it all the way in to 1.85:1 or something but I don't think the resolution will stand up to it :((