Hello from FILM Ferrania!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

filmferrania

Re: Hello from FILM Ferrania!

Post by filmferrania »

Hello all,

We just published our latest update from the factory - read all about it!

http://www.filmferrania.it/news/2016/green-means-go
BAC

Post by BAC »

That's great news! Keep the good news coming and good luck.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

I contributed to the Kickstarter campaign and was promised "gifts". I selected super 8 and 16mm. 16mm is straight forward but I am thinking about how will the super 8 "gift" be supplied; in a camera ready cartridge or on a spool that will have to be loaded by me into a cartridge? While it would be nice to have the super 8 loaded and ready to use, I can understand how loading into the cartridge my require special equipment and could add an extra expense and time to supply this "gift". Please clarify how the S8 will be supplied. --Thanks.
filmferrania

Post by filmferrania »

mr8mm wrote:I contributed to the Kickstarter campaign and was promised "gifts". I selected super 8 and 16mm. 16mm is straight forward but I am thinking about how will the super 8 "gift" be supplied; in a camera ready cartridge or on a spool that will have to be loaded by me into a cartridge? While it would be nice to have the super 8 loaded and ready to use, I can understand how loading into the cartridge my require special equipment and could add an extra expense and time to supply this "gift". Please clarify how the S8 will be supplied. --Thanks.
Super 8 is by definition in a cartridge, as far as we're concerned. We would never expect folks to hand-load their own Super 8 film. I'm guessing that it's possible, but obviously not user-friendly. Since we do not yet have our own Super 8 finishing line installed (it's in storage) - we have already spoken with a few different companies who can do this for us. We will make the final decision about which vendor we will use in the coming weeks.
filmferrania

Post by filmferrania »

Hello all,

Just posted a new update: http://www.filmferrania.it/news/2016/preparing-the-base

Still a lot of steps between today and color reversal, but now one less!
pip

Post by pip »

Absolutely brilliant! The restored 1917 slitter is a beautiful piece of machinery.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

The team at Ferrania seem to be making good decisions and we all hope they can produce the much anticipated reversal film stock. The 1917 slitter is truly awesome. 100 years and it still is viable, just like film...
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

Hi, David!
Have you even thought for 9.5mm format?
I know that users of this format are far fewer than those of Super 8, Double 8, 16mm, etc., but, currently, there is only one dealer of 9,5mm in the world, which, by the way, cut only color film in this format. A 9.5mm B/W film would be a single point for the whole world.
There are still a club of users of this format, especially in France and in the UK, they are really interested.
Thank you. :)
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Hi Luigi !

I have often been curious about 9.5mm = the format that wouldn't die. It is incredible that there are still die hard fans that still shoot this film format today, 40 years after I first became aware of it reading Lenny Lipton's book. Here in the USA it is very, very rare to come across any cameras or projectors and I have never seen one in person. I do understand the passion and dedication of those who shoot 9.5mm. I feel the same towards DS8mm. I hope both formats can continue to be available and I root for Ferrania to become a good source for film in those gauges.
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

David M. Leugers wrote:Hi Luigi !

I have often been curious about 9.5mm = the format that wouldn't die. It is incredible that there are still die hard fans that still shoot this film format today, 40 years after I first became aware of it reading Lenny Lipton's book. Here in the USA it is very, very rare to come across any cameras or projectors and I have never seen one in person. I do understand the passion and dedication of those who shoot 9.5mm. I feel the same towards DS8mm. I hope both formats can continue to be available and I root for Ferrania to become a good source for film in those gauges.
It's true, David, two nice format, little consideration, but with great definition one, and very practical the second (crossfades with the Super 8 are great!).
Too bad they have a base so scarce, even in Italy are both rare.
I also have a DS8 camera, one of the Soviet Quarz!
We see that tells us Ferrania. :)
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Here's a sample of some VNF 125 (and some TriX) I shot at a Built to Spill concert in early 2004. A few months later, Kodak added V2 200T and 500T to the Super 8 mix.
https://vimeo.com/70646413
Reborn member since Sept 2003
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

filmferrania wrote:Super 8 is by definition in a cartridge, as far as we're concerned. We would never expect folks to hand-load their own Super 8 film. I'm guessing that it's possible, but obviously not user-friendly. Since we do not yet have our own Super 8 finishing line installed (it's in storage) - we have already spoken with a few different companies who can do this for us. We will make the final decision about which vendor we will use in the coming weeks.
Just to ask again: any possibility of DS8 (Double Super8) in, say, either 25ft or 100ft day light spools?
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

I'd also be interested in color reversal film(s) in 100-foot lengths in both regular 8mm and DS8.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

DS8 would be a very important addition because there are several labs that can slit film and load into Kodak cartridges but can not perforate the film. The question is can Ferrania perforate to DS8? Another thought would be to offer your film as unperforated stock for companies that can perforate to D8/R8 and two edge 16mm.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

filmferrania wrote:
mr8mm wrote:I contributed to the Kickstarter campaign and was promised "gifts". I selected super 8 and 16mm. 16mm is straight forward but I am thinking about how will the super 8 "gift" be supplied; in a camera ready cartridge or on a spool that will have to be loaded by me into a cartridge? While it would be nice to have the super 8 loaded and ready to use, I can understand how loading into the cartridge my require special equipment and could add an extra expense and time to supply this "gift". Please clarify how the S8 will be supplied. --Thanks.
Super 8 is by definition in a cartridge, as far as we're concerned. We would never expect folks to hand-load their own Super 8 film. I'm guessing that it's possible, but obviously not user-friendly. Since we do not yet have our own Super 8 finishing line installed (it's in storage) - we have already spoken with a few different companies who can do this for us. We will make the final decision about which vendor we will use in the coming weeks.
I think what is really not user friendly is changing cartridges every 2 or 3 minutes then splicing together once processed.. I hope you'll have this available on cores in 400 foot or bigger cans? I want the option of economies of scale! I don't like to think like at least 3 dollars per 50 feet got wasted on a cartridge..