Hello from FILM Ferrania!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

richard p. t.

Re: Hello from FILM Ferrania!

Post by richard p. t. »

You website seems to be down. Maybe maintenance overnight or something.

But I worked back from a previous update and found ...

YOU GUYS HAVE MADE A PANCHROMATIC FILM STOCK! How excellent! That is real progress. Well done!
regards from Australia
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Wow, what a surprise! I loved Ferrania black and white film, there print stock was great also. I hope we get to see it in 16mm, R-8mm or DS-8mm so I can shoot it.

Bravo, Ferrania team members!
aj

Post by aj »

I never used BW from Ferrania. Old dudes who did use it never seem to cease on this silverrich BW material. Elsewhere this rich emulsion is a de-luxe edition.

See what it looks like. It gives Ferrania an opportunity to operate the machines and gain hours in experience while making some money hopefully on the sales of this film.

Now the colorfilm is set for this summer :)
Kind regards,

André
Angus

Post by Angus »

I definitely hope to purchase some Ferrania P30. I love silver-rich B&W films, I've been using Adox Silvermax and Fomapan 100 a fair bit in 135. The test images from the first hand rolled Ferrania films look beautiful.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Will2

Post by Will2 »

From the post it seems that the B&W film is a little easier to create, will it become an item for regular sale or just for the rewards?

You know we'd eat it up here if it was offered in 16mm or Super 8 or Regular 8...I'd love to have some 100' 35mm loads for my Eyemo...
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

So do I.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

If Film Ferrania could be persuaded to sell their BW in bulk spools 400ft/122M or larger, there are a number of ways to have the film slit and perforated by second parties to various 16mm products. Unfortunately it would add to the cost but it would give Film Ferrania exposure to the small gauge market. DS8 would be especially valuable because it can be easily slit and loaded into cartridges for Super 8 and Single 8. Nice to have ISO 80 film.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

And is it a clear acetate base or a grey base? It's bw negative film which is usually on a grey base but they may not have grey. Clear would make it better for reversal use.
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

No worry about perforation with Ferrania, they have dozens of perforators with tools for 70mm, 65mm, 35mm N and P, 16mm, and 9½mm. Double Eight and DS-8 will be perfed by Wittner. 9½ would also be made by what is left from the liquidation of Ciné-Dia under the Colland family. Wittner can perforate 35 and 16 as well. FilmoTec can perforate in 35 and 16.

Unclear about that P30 Alpha’s base. We shall see.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Regarding perforation, however, it is a matter of Ferrania having the time and resources to set them up. They plan on that of course. But not all battles can be fought at once. Ferrania have said that they are prioritising emulsion making and coating in the first instance. That makes sense and is understandable. It is just a shame because it means their film will inevitably be more expensive than if they were to perforate it themselves. But all things take time and they are doing an amazing job.
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
7OSE9

Post by 7OSE9 »

Here, I'd like to know how much WANTS to make perforations. There are machines, has the same Ferrania or by Wittner or Color City, but... they want to do?
The fact that the P30 is presented only as a photographic material worries me.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

7OSE9 wrote:Here, I'd like to know how much WANTS to make perforations. There are machines, has the same Ferrania or by Wittner or Color City, but... they want to do?
The fact that the P30 is presented only as a photographic material worries me.
They are going to release it first as a still film with MP to follow. If they perf reg 8mm and DS8, they will sell a lot of reversal where Kodak can't.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
filmferrania

Post by filmferrania »

Will2 wrote:From the post it seems that the B&W film is a little easier to create, will it become an item for regular sale or just for the rewards?

You know we'd eat it up here if it was offered in 16mm or Super 8 or Regular 8...I'd love to have some 100' 35mm loads for my Eyemo...
Once we get the 35mm still film beyond the ALPHA version, we plan to make it indefinitely and eventually in all formats. We cannot promise Super8 P30 yet, but we will very likely produce a small batch of 16mm later this year. We can do this in-house - but with our team so small, we don't want to take too much time away from the development of color reversal. Once that is out in the world, expect the offerings in different formats to expand.
filmferrania

Post by filmferrania »

mr8mm wrote:If Film Ferrania could be persuaded to sell their BW in bulk spools 400ft/122M or larger, there are a number of ways to have the film slit and perforated by second parties to various 16mm products. Unfortunately it would add to the cost but it would give Film Ferrania exposure to the small gauge market. DS8 would be especially valuable because it can be easily slit and loaded into cartridges for Super 8 and Single 8. Nice to have ISO 80 film.
We are of course open to third-party entrepreneurs who can work with us to expand our offerings for niche products. But of course not until we get our production capacity to a point where we can support both our direct customers and third-parties.
filmferrania

Post by filmferrania »

richard p. t. wrote:And is it a clear acetate base or a grey base? It's bw negative film which is usually on a grey base but they may not have grey. Clear would make it better for reversal use.
It's a grey base. You can see it pretty clearly here: http://www.filmferrania.it/news/2016/in-the-loop