Are D-mount lenses too small for super 8?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

slashmaster

Are D-mount lenses too small for super 8?

Post by slashmaster »

If you had an adapter would they work good? Or would they be blurry in the corners?
sciolist

Re: Are D-mount lenses too small for super 8?

Post by sciolist »

I think D-mount lenses were made primarily for the regular 8mm format, so their flange focal distance is 12.29mm and not the 17.52mm common to Super 8 cameras accepting interchangeable lenses. There are C-mount to D-mount adapters, but not the other way around.
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

Theoretically, I think that the D mount lenses could cover the super 8 frame.

For example, the film gate of all bolex H8 double 8 cameras , non reflex(D mount) and reflex models("special" C mount), are not on the centre of the lens mount. It shares the same position as DS8 version of H8 reflex, and the non reflex H8 has the same design even it had never had DS 8 version.

Maybe the flange distance of standard D mount is not long enough for reflex system. So, Beaulieu made it's own reflex D mount for their reflex double 8 cameras, and Bolex H8 reflex has a special C mount which has longer flange distance than D mount but shorter than standard C mount.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

Beaulieu's Dbl-8mm reflex cameras used standard D-mount lenses. I had a Beaulieu MR8 and put a Switar 13mm f0.9 D-mount lens on it and it worked beautifully. Unfortunately the lens didn't work at all on my Beaulieu 5008s.

you would probably have to design your own Super-8 camera to fit a D-mount lens, unfortunately.
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

inlieubeaulieu wrote:Beaulieu's Dbl-8mm reflex cameras used standard D-mount lenses. I had a Beaulieu MR8 and put a Switar 13mm f0.9 D-mount lens on it and it worked beautifully.
I don't have any reflex Beaulieu double 8 camera, I read about it's d-mount and flange focus on some forum. Maybe I mixed it with other cameras...
So, I should buy a Beaulieu and try my Bolex lens on it:))
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

kontrabass888 wrote:For example, the film gate of all bolex H8 double 8 cameras , non reflex(D mount) and reflex models("special" C mount), are not on the centre of the lens mount. It shares the same position as DS8 version of H8 reflex, and the non reflex H8 has the same design even it had never had DS 8 version.
The lens and film gate on my Bolex H8 RX4 cameras are on the same optical axis. Why would camera designers/manufacturers build a camera whose film gate is on a different optical axis than the taking lens?
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

sciolist wrote:
kontrabass888 wrote:For example, the film gate of all bolex H8 double 8 cameras , non reflex(D mount) and reflex models("special" C mount), are not on the centre of the lens mount. It shares the same position as DS8 version of H8 reflex, and the non reflex H8 has the same design even it had never had DS 8 version.
The lens and film gate on my Bolex H8 RX4 cameras are on the same optical axis. Why would camera designers/manufacturers build a camera whose film gate is on a different optical axis than the taking lens?
Bolex h8 rex4 shares the same lens mount as DS8. so the gate in fact is a super8 gate and the R8 gate is just a crop of the DS8 version. If you take out the lens of your H8 rex4, and open the beam spliter you will see it.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

kontrabass888 wrote:I don't have any reflex Beaulieu double 8 camera, I read about it's d-mount and flange focus on some forum. Maybe I mixed it with other cameras...
So, I should buy a Beaulieu and try my Bolex lens on it:))
Any D-mount Bolex lens should work with the Beaulieu cameras (only with the dbl-8mm models, though: MR8, TR8, MCR8), as I don't believe Bolex ever made any RX D-mount lenses.
The Beaulieu MR8, TR8, and MCR8 are beautiful little cameras, but any camera you'll find will likely need work given their age.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

kontrabass888 wrote:Bolex h8 rex4 shares the same lens mount as DS8. so the gate in fact is a super8 gate and the R8 gate is just a crop of the DS8 version. If you take out the lens of your H8 rex4, and open the beam spliter you will see it.
We disagree about terminology. A ‘gate’ is, in my view, the aperture against which the film rests as it’s exposed. What you’re calling a ‘gate’ is a mask on an intermediate plate forward of the aperture. It isn’t near the film.
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

sciolist wrote:
kontrabass888 wrote:Bolex h8 rex4 shares the same lens mount as DS8. so the gate in fact is a super8 gate and the R8 gate is just a crop of the DS8 version. If you take out the lens of your H8 rex4, and open the beam spliter you will see it.
We disagree about terminology. A ‘gate’ is, in my view, the aperture against which the film rests as it’s exposed. What you’re calling a ‘gate’ is a mask on an intermediate plate forward of the aperture. It isn’t near the film.
The gate of bolex H8 Regular8 (both reflex and non reflex)is not in the center of the lens mount, but the gate of DS8 version of H8 is in the center of the lens mount. which means, a H8 R8 can be converted to DS8 without changing the center of the lens mount. It needs change the gate and mechanism only. If you have a H8 rex4 R8 you could even see the mask from the viewfinder.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

kontrabass888 wrote:The gate of bolex H8 Regular8 (both reflex and non reflex)is not in the center of the lens mount, but the gate of DS8 version of H8 is in the center of the lens mount. which means, a H8 R8 can be converted to DS8 without changing the center of the lens mount. It needs change the gate and mechanism only. If you have a H8 rex4 R8 you could even see the mask from the viewfinder.

I give up.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

Thanks for the replies everyone!