New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tscan

New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Post by Tscan »

Well it's not the Logmar, but made with their help. And the price is so right, I'll take 2!
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/107190 ... f-warms-my
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Tscan

Re: New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Post by Tscan »

Here's the Kodak official release page
http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Consumer/ ... efault.htm
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Here are the camera specs as of Jan 6th 2016:

http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/consumer/ ... 4294969683

Technical Specifications
FILM GAUGE: SUPER 8 ( EXTENDED MAX-8 GATE )

FILM LOAD: KODAK CARTRIDGES WITH 50 FT (15 M)

SPEED: VARIABLE SPEEDS (9, 12, 18, 24, 25 FPS) ALL WITH CRYSTAL SYNC

LENS MOUNT: C-MOUNT

FOCAL LENGTH: FIXED / 6 MM, 1:1.2 – RICOH LENS (OPTIONAL ZOOM 8-48 MM LENS )

FOCUS / APERTURE: MANUAL FOCUS & IRIS

VIEWFINDER: 3.5" DISPLAY THAT HAS A STANDARD DEFINITION VIDEO INPUT AND SUPPORTS SWIVEL +/- 45 DEGREES

EXPOSURE: EXPOSURE CONTROL BUILT-IN LIGHT METER FOR SUPPORTED SPEEDS OF ALL KODAK FILM TYPES
MANUAL SPEED / MANUAL IRIS SETTING

POWER SUPPLY: BATTERY & CHARGER : INTEGRATED BATTERY AND CHARGER VIA STANDARD USB WALL ADAPTER

CONTROL PANEL / SETTINGS
CONTROL PANEL
VIA VIEWFINDER 3,5" TFT LCD

SETTINGS
VIA JOG WHEEL AS USER INTERFACE
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Tscan wrote:Well it's not the Logmar, but made with their help. And the price is so right, I'll take 2!
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/5/107190 ... f-warms-my
This is good new for super 8 film in the year 2016 / we just need a E6 film soon, Any chance of kodak bringing back D100 . I know its alot to ask for .

No view finder on the camera thats very Logmar , Still I too was think filmmaking in this format was looking bleak , :ymapplause:
Angus

Post by Angus »

With any luck Ferrania will get their E6 colour reversal film on the market before the end of 2016.

More cameras = more film sold = more fun for all of us....from the enthusiasts to the pros.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
john59

Post by john59 »

Will2

Post by Will2 »

So we'll be able to put our Beaulieu lenses on there...not powered of course, but cool.

Wonder how the registration will be. The same backplate design in the cartridge and they don't seem to be taking Logmar's lead in pulling out the film and pin-registering it so it's probably not much different than a 40 year old camera in that regard.

The big news will be the processing and transfer service. If they can make that happen at a reasonable cost with volume, then we can all shoot a ton more film on our current cameras. I assume they'll put an online order service in place too.

I wonder what their buddies at Pro8mm think about that. Also I'm curious if the scan will be 1080 or 720 and what aspect ratio? Lots of variables but a good thing every which way I look at it.

I wish they would put some Kodak reps on Filmshooting.com to answer questions. Here's where the hardcore fans and first adopters are. We miss you John Pytlak!!
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Will2 wrote:So we'll be able to put our Beaulieu lenses on there...not powered of course, but cool.

Wonder how the registration will be. The same backplate design in the cartridge and they don't seem to be taking Logmar's lead in pulling out the film and pin-registering it so it's probably not much different than a 40 year old camera in that regard.

The big news will be the processing and transfer service. If they can make that happen at a reasonable cost with volume, then we can all shoot a ton more film on our current cameras. I assume they'll put an online order service in place too.

I wonder what their buddies at Pro8mm think about that. Also I'm curious if the scan will be 1080 or 720 and what aspect ratio? Lots of variables but a good thing every which way I look at it.

I wish they would put some Kodak reps on <a class="vglnk" href="http://Filmshooting.com" rel="nofollow"><span>Filmshooting</span><span>.</span><span>com</span></a> to answer questions. Here's where the hardcore fans and first adopters are. We miss you John Pytlak!!
I was wondering about the registration too, or if they will pull the film and pin register? My guess is not on the 1st consumer model. Apparently a more pro model will come out in 2017 for around $1000, I bet that will be pin registered. I'll get one of each when they come out. I like the idea of max 8, and hopefully I can pick up some lenses along the way. I was also thinking about John Pytlak today, wishing he were here to fill us in and hear our thoughts.
john59

Post by john59 »

NEW KODAK SUPER 8 CAMERA WINS PRIZE AT CES 2016.

https://www.facebook.com/kodaknow/?fref=photo
DonFito

Post by DonFito »

Truly, truly amazing news! It totally feels like an alternate Universe!
Cheers,

Rafael Rivera
www.donfito.com
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

I was wondering about the registration too, or if they will pull the film and pin register? My guess is not on the 1st consumer model. Apparently a more pro model will come out in 2017 for around $1000, I bet that will be pin registered. I'll get one of each when they come out. I like the idea of max 8, and hopefully I can pick up some lenses along the way. I was also thinking about John Pytlak today, wishing he were here to fill us in and hear our thoughts.
No, there's no pin rego in the camera. Its a completely 'new design', prepared for Kodak. It's aimed at those who don't necessarily know anything about film at all. A pin rego camera requires a bit of expertise. And some patience. I like the 'new' design. Unlike the Logmar camera, I'd have no qualms giving my 12 year old daughter the Kodak one to play with. Myself, of course, I much prefer the Logmar. Not that I've actually shot anything with it yet! Have been in a 16mm groove for a while. But getting started with Super8 in the next few weeks.

I never had the pleasure of interacting with John Pytlak but have read quite a bit of what he had to contribute and it's all really quite good - well, apart from some of the misconceptions his generation had acquired in relation to Super8 - acquired, I suspect, from looking too closely at low res scans/telecines on low res video monitors. As fascinating as the pixel/atomic world is, it is also a somewhat misleading world. For it is not the image which is created by the arrangement of pixels/atoms (or lack thereof). It is the pixels/atoms which are arranged by an image, and into which the image is temporarily encoded in a way that is quite subtle and complex. Looking too closely at some particular encoding (such as a telecine), it is easy to get misled. To believe the magic (or reality) is to be found in the atomic components of an image is as old as the Ancient Greeks. But the real magic (or the reality) occurs when the process is reversed. Which is what happens during a screening. The conversion of pixels/atoms back into an image. Or the image is, in a sense, occupying an entangled state between it's original state and it's reconstructed state. Digital systems can disrupt this subtle entanglement, the alleviation of which requires increasing the definition of the digital encode/decode.

Basically if you really want to measure film images, you have to use your eyes - not low res video cameras.

C
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

I wonder if producing this camera and package is more to do with Kodak building the profile of film. I guess the average punter will want to slap in a cartridge and then point and shoot just like their video camera and the processing package is to aid that. Perhaps it will follow the 80/20 rule and the majority who buy the camera will be the sort of people who like to talk gadgets over the barbecue, they'll use the camera once perhaps twice, and then it will sit in the attic for 20 years. That doesn't matter, it will be a cheap way for Kodak to reintroduce the idea of 'film' into the film making industry and help embed the idea of once again using film for the long term (I guess that if anyone within Kodak is thinking "long term" and "film" it only very recent).

The difficult thing is going to be the logistics of the processing package, say 10,000 punters across the world buy one of these cameras and shoot one film in the first six months to a year of its introduction before storing the camera in the attic for twenty years. How is Kodak going to manage that spike in demand, even if its a one off?

Is this an opportunity for the film making community to go to Kodak and say, "can we partner with you in the logistics for this" rather than sititng around trying to second guess Pro8? For example, the likes of Gauge Film in the UK, Andec in Europe, LIFT in Toronto, etc, could be 'official' local Kodak 'partners'. Even if its only a marketing push by Kodak it would help in building the so called "ecology" of film that has been the buzzword put about by Kodak execs this week. In saying this I'm not being cycnical, just realistic as people at Kodak are still recovering from a near death experience, which affects one's outlook on life, and trying this is to be applauded.
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

JeremyC wrote:I wonder if producing this camera and package is more to do with Kodak building the profile of film. I guess the average punter will want to slap in a cartridge and then point and shoot just like their video camera and the processing package is to aid that. Perhaps it will follow the 80/20 rule and the majority who buy the camera will be the sort of people who like to talk gadgets over the barbecue, they'll use the camera once perhaps twice, and then it will sit in the attic for 20 years. That doesn't matter, it will be a cheap way for Kodak to reintroduce the idea of 'film' into the film making industry and help embed the idea of once again using film for the long term (I guess that if anyone within Kodak is thinking "long term" and "film" it only very recent).

The difficult thing is going to be the logistics of the processing package, say 10,000 punters across the world buy one of these cameras and shoot one film in the first six months to a year of its introduction before storing the camera in the attic for twenty years. How is Kodak going to manage that spike in demand, even if its a one off?

Is this an opportunity for the film making community to go to Kodak and say, "can we partner with you in the logistics for this" rather than sititng around trying to second guess Pro8? For example, the likes of Gauge Film in the UK, Andec in Europe, LIFT in Toronto, etc, could be 'official' local Kodak 'partners'. Even if its only a marketing push by Kodak it would help in building the so called "ecology" of film that has been the buzzword put about by Kodak execs this week. In saying this I'm not being cycnical, just realistic as people at Kodak are still recovering from a near death experience, which affects one's outlook on life, and trying this is to be applauded.
Yes, that's what I've been thinking. Kodak really needs to consult with the Super8 service community - labs, etc. on the best way forward. The last thing they want to do is disrupt all of the good work that's been going on in their absence. To come in out of nowhere and take over the community is not necessarily the best move. On one level it's good in the sense that it can create a larger market than currently exists - the Kodak brand being quite an historically potent one - and competition takes over. But at the same time, those labs that have been carrying the torch in Kodaks absence could be easily wiped out by such a move. Their customers suddenly start going to Kodak instead. And then down the track, if and when demand falls off again, and Kodak can't be bothered, the labs that might have otherwise been able to do so, are no more.

Kodak just needs to reach out to all the labs across the planet and have some sort of global meeting on it. How might a lab get accreditation as a Kodak lab. It's in Kodak's interest as much as anyone elses. Certainly Kodak's move is a bit of a PR stunt, and that's fine. What isn't fine is if the PR stunt wipes out the Super8 service community. Especially since it can't be for the money that Kodak are doing it. But for the Super8 service community it will be (or would have been) a source of income.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. From what I understand Kodak is really quite open to any discussion. It is perhaps the labs that need to bang on Kodaks door and sort out deals.

C
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

We're down to maybe 3-4 labs in the US that still even process Super 8, and those places are geared more for the professional market or novices that splurge on projects here and there. While they have been carrying the torch and even offering packages, it's been an environment that is not so welcoming to new comers who are curious to try out the rummage sale camera they scored. What Kodak is trying to do is tear down all the cumbersome obstacles for anyone who is curious but intimidated. I meet a ton of film makers that would love to shoot on film, but the chain is way to difficult to jump in on. If there's an increase on volume, I'm sure Kodak can integrate the remaining labs as part of a national Super 8 processing network? They do still use Kodak chemicals so i'm sure a relationship can benefit all.
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Tscan wrote: it's been an environment that is not so welcoming to new comers who are curious to try out the rummage sale camera they scored. What Kodak is trying to do is tear down all the cumbersome obstacles for anyone who is curious but intimidated. I meet a ton of film makers that would love to shoot on film, but the chain is way to difficult to jump in on. If there's an increase on volume, I'm sure Kodak can integrate the remaining labs as part of a national Super 8 processing network? They do still use Kodak chemicals so i'm sure a relationship can benefit all.
I guess its up to the film making community to reach out to the wider media community.