Kodak awakens, new S8 camera announced at CES '16

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

aj

Kodak awakens, new S8 camera announced at CES '16

Post by aj »

now Kodak awakens:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind ... dak-852128

The Super 8 "revival initiative" includes cameras, film development services and postproduction tools.

While there will be plenty of digital cameras on display this week at CES, Kodak has selected the venue to debut a prototype of a new Super 8 camera that combines the classic features of a Super 8 film camera with digital functions.
Kind regards,

André
DonFito

Re: Kodak awakens, new S8 camera announced at CES '16

Post by DonFito »

Still trying to recover from the extremely good news:

http://www.kodak.com/ek/us/en/Consumer/ ... hbx=super8
Cheers,

Rafael Rivera
www.donfito.com
Will2

Post by Will2 »

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2016/01/05/ ... -8-camera/

About time. The press they'll get alone for this will drive sales.

Something tells me they could make a cheap version (like a Canon 310xl) in plastic and sell it for less than $300, but I guess they don't have the scale to keep the price down.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

so this it not the Logmar camera. where does it leave the Logmar?

shoot....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Specs include Max 8 gate, C mount and 25 FPS.

What is Kodak intending to price this at?
BAC

Post by BAC »

Quotes from the WSJ article.
It is likely to cost between $400 to $750, Mr. Clarke estimated. Processing the film should cost $50 to $75 a cartridge, he said.
The price for the cameras are reasonable but the processing and scanning is pretty expensive. Maybe they are including a print for projection.
Kodak plans to play on some of the conveniences of digital technology. Just as movies shot on film are usually converted to digital files for editing and projection, buyers of the new camera that turn to Kodak for processing will get a digital copy of their imagery as well as eight-millimeter film to use in projectors.
Unless the author of the article just assumed the film would be for use in projectors but I would hope they are better than that.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

OMG. So Kodak has a chance to redefine 8mm for a new generation and the best they can do is Max-8? Really? Max-8????

If the film isn't going to be projected and is destined for the home HD screen, why not put the sprocket hole on the frame line and use the entire width of the film for a true wide screen format on 8mm? I'm happy for any effort to keep film alive but having quite a bit of experience selling mechanical devices, and knowing how much technical support they require, I just can not imagine Kodak coming out of bankruptcy with the resources to market and support a product like this. I doubt the number of sales would pay the salaries of the required technical support staff because, believe me, once newbies that cut their teeth on digital start working with film, the phones in customer service will start ringing off the hook. It just all seems kind of weird. Newbies won't have that kind of money to spend on camera and processing and pros aren't going to bother with it unless the cartridge jitter problem is eliminated once and for all. But I guess we'll see.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Look closely. This is the Logmar camera sold by PRO-8. Unfortunately Kodak, Pro8 and Logmar are in an exclusive arrangement. It is unfortunate that Logmar chose this exclusive arrangement because this will limit any price competition and in the long run depress sales. I know other companies that would love to sell the Logmar in the US but can not because of this arrangement. Limiting competition keeps prices high and limits choice.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

mr8mm wrote:Look closely. This is the Logmar camera sold by PRO-8. Unfortunately Kodak, Pro8 and Logmar are in an exclusive arrangement. It is unfortunate that Logmar chose this exclusive arrangement because this will limit any price competition and in the long run depress sales. I know other companies that would love to sell the Logmar in the US but can not because of this arrangement. Limiting competition keeps prices high and limits choice.
Then Pro8mm is probably going to be doing the transfers. So, basically, it's just Kodak lending their name to the deal with the hopes to sell some film. Oh well.
aj

Post by aj »

It is a redesigned and restyled Logmar. Pro8mm cannot handle the volume Kodak may expect and considering the marketed audience they are not a suitable partner. The WSJ price prognosis is a bid odd, the camera would cost the price of 30 minutes filming???
Kind regards,

André
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Yes, it's not the original Logmar camera.

It's a brand new camera. But Logmar will be making it, and they will no doubt be drawing on their experience and what they have learned from making their first camera.

In the same way each new machine Roger brings out draws on his experience and what he has learned in making his previous machines.

The estimated price of the Kodak camera is significantly cheaper than the first Logmar camera.

Carl
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

What is the cure for a blown mind? My mind is blown.
Mike Brantley

Post by Mike Brantley »

Wow. I'm just scratching my head trying to figure out what this is all about. Is there by any chance some possibility that these film cartridges can be used in existing cameras and digital scanning be included in cost of processing??? Or is this all incompatible with existing cameras?
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Last edited by silverhalide on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Basically this is deal between Kodak and Pro-8. If you like Pro-8 processing and transfers then this is a good deal but if want to use another lab or transfer house then you will probably pay double. This is similar to way Kodak handled Kodachrome only it is not a Kodak lab doing the processing it is PRO-8. In the USA a court judgement forced Kodak to unbundle and allow other labs to process. This is sweetheart deal for PRO-8 whether or not it works time will tell. But I doubt using film will get cheaper.