opening single-8 cart

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

sven

opening single-8 cart

Post by sven »

Hello,

Does anyone knows how to properly open a single-8 cart without breaking it. I tried to open an empty single-8 sound cart (the film was already pulled out for developing but I wanted to open it), but it seems that the only option to open it is to use razor blade as with opening a super-8 cart. So I tried to open the cart with a razor blade but It was not as easy as I thought it would be, so I stopped because I was afraid to break it. It bother me because everyone who I know to open a single-8 cart says it is very easy, what am doing wrong? I have a lot of single-8 carts (with and without sound) that I want to reuse after shooting the film. Thanks for your help.

Sven
aj

Re: opening single-8 cart

Post by aj »

Opening the early types who are taped together is easy :)
I don't know about the recent versions. These are glued or molten together. I suppose you need some luck to make the glue let go rather than break away the rims.

There is somewhere a Spanish website which demonstrates reloading single-8 using an old P camera
and some reels and hoders.
Kind regards,

André
sven

Post by sven »

I see, thanks aj. I think I will just leave some film peeling out of the other newer carts for reloading, I will try to open the one from yesterday with a thinner razor blade.
Just bought some really old ones yesterday from the internet (Fujipan R50 and Fujichrome RT50), I suppose that are the easy ones :) .
I know that Spanish website, couldn't find it back do.
stef

Post by stef »

Don't use a blade. Just bend the cardrige in every direction and you hear the glue break. Did this many times and it works very good.
Will try to upload a video of this and also about my reloading machine, based on an old arri magazin. To reload a single8 cardrige is really so easy.
aj

Post by aj »

sven wrote:I see, thanks aj. I think I will just leave some film peeling out of the other newer carts for reloading, I will try to open the one from yesterday with a thinner razor blade.
Just bought some really old ones yesterday from the internet (Fujipan R50 and Fujichrome RT50), I suppose that are the easy ones :) .
With exploding film prices you might want to consider to expose these old films. Processing in Japan by Retro8 isn't all that expensive and shipping of 100 grams in and out is fast and barely more expensive than local EU-shipping. Either send in the film on a reel in foil and bag or demand the cartridge back!
Kind regards,

André
sven

Post by sven »

aj wrote:
sven wrote:I see, thanks aj. I think I will just leave some film peeling out of the other newer carts for reloading, I will try to open the one from yesterday with a thinner razor blade.
With exploding film prices you might want to consider to expose these old films. Processing in Japan by Retro8 isn't all that expensive and shipping of 100 grams in and out is fast and barely more expensive than local EU-shipping. Either send in the film on a reel in foil and bag or demand the cartridge back!
Sorry, you misunderstood me, I mean I will expose the films first and then reuse the old carts (as what you mention).
stef wrote:Don't use a blade. Just bend the cardrige in every direction and you hear the glue break. Did this many times and it works very good.
Will try to upload a video of this and also about my reloading machine, based on an old arri magazin. To reload a single8 cardrige is really so easy.
I see, that method looks a lot easier, looking forward to your video.