Ferrania is a go!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tscan

Ferrania is a go!

Post by Tscan »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fi ... nalog-film
They did it! Looks like we will have a new S8 & 16mm color reversal film to shoot. And since they are getting into the film business to actually be in the film business, hopefully we will see some improvements on their initial stock and new films later.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Sasounet

Re: Ferrania is a go!

Post by Sasounet »

Still time to pledge. And now that all their cine film rewards include processing it is even more tempting!
Sasounet
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Tscan wrote:https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fi ... nalog-film
They did it! Looks like we will have a new S8 & 16mm color reversal film to shoot. And since they are getting into the film business to actually be in the film business, hopefully we will see some improvements on their initial stock and new films later.
Good new for us Filmmakers , hope there will be a film like 100 d soon and a good b/w , not now like kodaks tri X prices ,
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

[/quote]Good new for us Filmmakers , hope there will be a film like 100 d soon and a good b/w , not now like kodaks tri X prices ,[/quote]
What would be totally ideal is if they not only offer a daylight film as good or better than 100D, but a 200ASA tungsten color reversal. Since they are choosing to be in the film business for people like us, they will most likely be a lot more receptive to what we want.
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

Next from Ferrania: super8 sound film ? One can dream...
Sasounet
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Sound film! Great idea.
Sadly there will never be another super 8 film as good as 100d. Probably never as good as 64t.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

richard p. t. wrote:Sound film! Great idea.
Sadly there will never be another super 8 film as good as 100d. Probably never as good as 64t.
Well Richard we live in the age of hope then change then after all that we been sold over the rainbow at a higher price ! Yes kodak 100d was there best super 8 film to date for me , loved this film home cooking was easy with it / may be kodak sell's them the recipe ? from the sounds of it there could do with the money ,
Even so great" Ferrania would want to make film in this age" when it's seems like kodak is winding down" Let wait and see what there will offer ? and at what price,

After all there is always hope ?
Angus

Post by Angus »

I am thrilled to see this will happen.

For me, a super 8 colour reversal is important. It doesn't have to be as good as 100D, at the beginning I will take anything that looks reasonably good. Hopefully they will be able to improve on the baseline product.

I've shot and hand processed a fair amount of B&W 35mm still film this year, probably as much as I had in the preceding 5 years. But I haven't spent much on new products as I have a large stash in the freezer. Ilford have benefitted from me buying chemicals. The thing is, we need to buy new film to keep the remaining manufacturers going....and I acknowledge being a bit guilty for buying up cheap B&W film on eBay 10-12 years ago when everyone was "going digital" and freezing it.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
doug

Post by doug »

Angus wrote:I am thrilled to see this will happen.

For me, a super 8 colour reversal is important. It doesn't have to be as good as 100D, at the beginning I will take anything that looks reasonably good. Hopefully they will be able to improve on the baseline product.
Yes it's almost too good to be true. Agree, anything will be good as long as its affordable and of reasonable resolution. I'm wondering what the technical problems are... for any manufacturer... to produce a fine grain film. You'd think it would be relatively straightforward if you kept the film's speed low enough, say 40 or 50 asa maximum. Most of the time for outdoor filming that's sufficient ? And they are the times you generally need the fine grain.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

doug wrote:
Angus wrote:I am thrilled to see this will happen.

Yes it's almost too good to be true. Agree, anything will be good as long as its affordable and of reasonable resolution. I'm wondering what the technical problems are... for any manufacturer... to produce a fine grain film. You'd think it would be relatively straightforward if you kept the film's speed low enough, say 40 or 50 asa maximum. Most of the time for outdoor filming that's sufficient ? And they are the times you generally need the fine grain.
Yes I was thinking the same thing about a low speed daylight film, even 25ASA if they could couple it with a 200T reversal that is also 125ASA daylight filtered. Ektachrome 160 was the fastest tungsten reversal S8 stock to date.
Angus

Post by Angus »

I pledged :)

It looks like the first offerings will be 100ASA colour reversal film in 35mm and 120 formats for still photogrpahy and the same for super 8 and 16mm cine. Those are what's being offered to people who fund via kickstarter.

This would almost certainly be a recreation of the film they formerly produced under the name of "Scotch Chrome". I read somewhere on the site that they are trying to reproduce Scotch Chrome as close as possible to the last incarnation of the film. I never used it, but I believe it was pretty good. As a first product, it's going to work perfectly well even if it's not as good as the very best.

So we WILL be getting a 100 ASA daylight reversal colour super 8 film (and in 16mm too). No doubts about it, it's coming. Will it be as good as Kodak 100D? Probably not. But they can improve on it. The best thing we can all do is buy a few rolls when it's available next year (or the first batch via the kickstarter) and give positive feedback with suggestions for improvement.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Eric Milborn

Post by Eric Milborn »

"I read somewhere on the site that they are trying to reproduce Scotch Chrome as close as possible to the last incarnation of the film."
You are right. This was confirmed by one of the founders (Dave Bias).
"I never used it, but I believe it was pretty good."
Well, uoh mhh, yes, if you consider a RMS 13 / 100 ASA film as "good".
Agfa 200D is RMS 12 at 200 ASA. This means the Scotch Chrome will be more grainy at half the speed compared to the Agfa product. Ferrania did publish the Scotch Chrome data sheet a while back on their site. It clearly states 100 ASA at RMS 13 granularity.
BAC

Post by BAC »

I'm in for some Super 8 but I really want Regular 8. Maybe that will come later.
supa8

Post by supa8 »

How about the production of empty cartridges?
Does Kodak not have the monopoly in that department?
Julien
Angus

Post by Angus »

I have no contact with the Ferrania people but I would assume reg 8mm is easy for them to produce. I would imagine they are starting with four products that they are confident in. They must believe that the 100ASA reversal film in super 8, 16mm, 135 and 120 will be viable in the niche marketplace they intend to inhabit. Personally I think reg 8mm would be a logical addition to the portfolio, once they've established a toe in the water again.

As for super 8 cartridges, Kodak was left as the last manufacturer but GK were supposed to be making their own high performance cart. The website still shows them, anyone know for sure if they are available? I would think the Kodak carts are cheaper to buy, Kodak is happy to sell them to anyone who can make the minimum order.