Kodak prices in Europe double those in the US?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Andersens Tears

Kodak prices in Europe double those in the US?

Post by Andersens Tears »

As we all know Kodak are increasing the prices of the super 8 portfolio of film stock almost 25%.

This is tough for those who buy and shoot film in the US, but please consider shooters in Europe. (What about the rest of the world?)

It seems that there is a big difference in prices between Kodak US and Kodak Europe.

When Kodak US list a roll of film at 17USD - Apparently , Kodak Europe decide to sell it at 33USD - that's very nearly double the price!

So what will happen to the Kodak Europe prices when the US prices increase to 22USD? ..... 44USD?

If this happens then many resellers in Europe may consider dropping film altogether. Which is a real shame as the stock was being sold and used.

Are Kodak really trying to kill off super 8 film? By doing this they will certainly decrease sales in Europe.

I guess we are tumbling towards the 50th anniversary of the launch of the super 8 format in 1965.

It [might] just see Kodak making the announcement that they are discontinuing Kodak made super 8 carts around April 2015.

They killed of Kodachrome in 2005 on the 40th anniversary.

Okay, it might not happen, and I know that if it happened, it would not necessarily mean the end of super 8 film.

Repackagers will conitune to take advantage of their increasingly narrow corner of the market, with high prices.

Then there will always be the greedy eBay sellers selling rolls of outdated kodak stock at incredibly inflated prices.

Shooting super 8 film has become a really expensive passion/hobby/profession. We all had to start paying for processing when Kodakchrome went in 2005.

In 2005 a roll of Kodachrome was around £11 - process paid. 64T was around the same price, but you had to pay another £11 for processing.

Up until December 2012, you could get a roll of 100D for around £11 (if you bought multipack deals)

Today 200D costs on average around twice as much as 100D did. £23-£25.

Now we have to pay almost 2-3 times as much for the raw film before processing.

When Ferannia launch their colour reversal stock, I doubt it will be much cheaper than 200D.

We will have to wait and see what happens, but I for one am having to shoot a lot less then I used to.

/Jamie
Tscan

Re: Kodak prices in Europe double those in the US?

Post by Tscan »

Yes it's a pretty stiff increase. Newbies shooting video who also considered shooting film were scared off when it was $15 a roll. My guess is that it won't be on the roster for too much longer and other companies will fill carts... hopefully. As I've boaseted on other threads, invested on a personal bulk order before the increase.. 20 50D, 20 200T, 10, 500T, 10 TriX. That leaves me about 62 rolls of Kodak S8 to last me until whatever future arrives.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

We sell Kodak Vision3 films for 298 NOK each incl 25% vat. That's close to 50 bucks per cart. This has been our going rate for some time now. We still sell film, but hardly comparable to the amounts 10 years ago. The only reason for shooting super8 now is because you like it, the archivalqualities of film and because you can afford it.
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
chrisgavin

Post by chrisgavin »

I totally agree with the above comments. I think the recent price hikes from Kodak on top of the crazy prices we already pay for the film here in Europe (UK) will be a very bad thing for the format indeed. The price of film & processing has pretty much driven me to find cheaper stock from other manufacturers (e.g. BW neg) and also to start buying a few odd bits of 16mm film too. It seems in this market it would be cheaper (and more fun) to mess about with some 16mm film rather than Super 8.
Films made for you... www.chrisgavin.com
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Andersens Tears wrote:As we all know Kodak are increasing the prices of the super 8 portfolio of film stock almost 25%.

This is tough for those who buy and shoot film in the US, but please consider shooters in Europe. (What about the rest of the world?)

It seems that there is a big difference in prices between Kodak US and Kodak Europe.

When Kodak US list a roll of film at 17USD - Apparently , Kodak Europe decide to sell it at 33USD - that's very nearly double the price!

So what will happen to the Kodak Europe prices when the US prices increase to 22USD? ..... 44USD?

If this happens then many resellers in Europe may consider dropping film altogether. Which is a real shame as the stock was being sold and used.

Are Kodak really trying to kill off super 8 film? By doing this they will certainly decrease sales in Europe.

I guess we are tumbling towards the 50th anniversary of the launch of the super 8 format in 1965.

It [might] just see Kodak making the announcement that they are discontinuing Kodak made super 8 carts around April 2015.

They killed of Kodachrome in 2005 on the 40th anniversary.

Okay, it might not happen, and I know that if it happened, it would not necessarily mean the end of super 8 film.

Repackagers will conitune to take advantage of their increasingly narrow corner of the market, with high prices.

Then there will always be the greedy eBay sellers selling rolls of outdated kodak stock at incredibly inflated prices.

Shooting super 8 film has become a really expensive passion/hobby/profession. We all had to start paying for processing when Kodakchrome went in 2005.

In 2005 a roll of Kodachrome was around £11 - process paid. 64T was around the same price, but you had to pay another £11 for processing.

Up until December 2012, you could get a roll of 100D for around £11 (if you bought multipack deals)

Today 200D costs on average around twice as much as 100D did. £23-£25.

Now we have to pay almost 2-3 times as much for the raw film before processing.

When Ferannia launch their colour reversal stock, I doubt it will be much cheaper than 200D.

We will have to wait and see what happens, but I for one am having to shoot a lot less then I used to.

/Jamie
It's all back to the price of sliver , The Kodak Moment and to make it ! is not a cheap thing anymore , but then making film 's and photographs ie with FB paper
has never really being cheap , Sliver based item 's have really gone up ? it,s all down to the age of now ? ie I phone etc the market ,
aj

Post by aj »

The EU doubling has nothing to do with component prices. It is a chosen policy which only hurts the business.
Customers can buy from all over the world.

It is unclear who ups the price so much. It may be that Kodak USA doesn't allow a proper wholesale price but
it may just as well be that Kodak importers up the price so much. But then why are all EU Kodaks applying the same rate?
Or is there only one Kodak EU left?

The silver price is currently not particularly high.
It is profiteering in a niche market. Very much like Ilford photographic paper which costs an arm and a leg too.

Just use Fomafoto from Norway: http://www.fomafoto.com/
They have ciné materials too.
Kind regards,

André
Pj

Post by Pj »

The world of film is changing, many used Super 8 because of its simplicity and its cheapness and in the last year that has changed dramatically with huge price increases. I think some of the predictions mentioned here may come true, with the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if by May 2015 Kodak kills Super 8 completely. Super 8 has become difficult and very expensive, in some cases it's even more costly than 16mm, it’s as they want the demise of Super 8.

Pav
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

That's exactly what Kodak wants to do.--J.S.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Kodak is a commercial printer company. The only reason Kodak still makes film is because they made a deal with Hollywood to produce film until 2014. The last time I looked at the calendar it is 2014. Oh my!!
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I remember Kodak making a statement after Chapter 11 about having enough film stock manufactured for the "foreseeable future". Maybe all the S8 film they have now is all there will be untill it's gone, and this price hike is just gouging the remainder.
Andersens Tears

Tscan wrote:Yes it's a pretty stiff increase. Newbies shooting video who also considered shooting film were scared off when it was $15 a roll. My guess is that it won't be on the roster for too much longer and other companies will fill carts... hopefully. As I've boaseted on other threads, invested on a personal bulk order before the increase.. 20 50D, 20 200T, 10, 500T, 10 TriX. That leaves me about 62 rolls of Kodak S8 to last me until whatever future arrives.
I wish I had your buying power!

/Jamie
Andersens Tears

Pj wrote:The world of film is changing, many used Super 8 because of its simplicity and its cheapness and in the last year that has changed dramatically with huge price increases. I think some of the predictions mentioned here may come true, with the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if by May 2015 Kodak kills Super 8 completely. Super 8 has become difficult and very expensive, in some cases it's even more costly than 16mm, it’s as they want the demise of Super 8.

Pav
I think that Kodak produced super 8 stock is coming to an end, but there are other companies around repacking - for now. This time next year super 8 will be very exclusive and very expensive (if it already isn't that now!)
Andersens Tears

aj wrote:The EU doubling has nothing to do with component prices. It is a chosen policy which only hurts the business.
Customers can buy from all over the world.

It is unclear who ups the price so much. It may be that Kodak USA doesn't allow a proper wholesale price but
it may just as well be that Kodak importers up the price so much. But then why are all EU Kodaks applying the same rate?
Or is there only one Kodak EU left?

The silver price is currently not particularly high.
It is profiteering in a niche market. Very much like Ilford photographic paper which costs an arm and a leg too.

Just use Fomafoto from Norway: http://www.fomafoto.com/
They have ciné materials too.
Yeah Foma is good. There are plenty of B&W reversal stocks out there...
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I talked to Pro8mm last week and they say that they will keep making it no matter what Kodak does. With the current Kodak price, Pro8mm film and processing is about $4 less per roll.