Indy 500 16mm Artist Film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

etimh

Indy 500 16mm Artist Film

Post by etimh »

I know there were some racing fans on here in the old days, so I just wanted to pass on something I found from and about artist Slater Bradley:

He made a film at the Indy 500 a few years back and shot it on Super 16mm with an Arriflex and a Bolex. I've shot lots of Super 8 at the 500 but have never had the opportunity to use my Bolex and shoot 16mm. Below are links to the film on Vimeo and a story about it on Forbes.com:

http://vimeo.com/89182605

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahellio ... -indy-500/

Not everything in the film is all that interesting, but the slow motion stuff of the cars is neat, and the sound design of the piece is kind of cool as well. Mostly I was happy to see that he chose to shoot it on film--great to see several of my interests converge in weird ways like this!

Tim
grainy

Re: Indy 500 16mm Artist Film

Post by grainy »

I watched this with no sound (at work *ahem...* ) and actually found it very beautiful.
The frames in this film are masterly and the use of slow motion is really very interesting. Maybe it's different with sound.
You can tell where the bolex comes in right away, but both cameras give very nice images, just different.
I love the tracking shot of the racer and his wife(?).
Coincidentally I saw part of that "Ricky Bobby" movie on TV recently. At ~ 6 minutes, this was much better.
G
Angus

Post by Angus »

Very nice. Must be 2012 or 2013 judging by the cars.

I shot some super 8 of Formula 1 back in 2004, including some 70fps slow motion which revealed a lot that isn't obvious at full speed.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Kalu

Post by Kalu »

Anyone knows what stock he used?
"Four legs good, two legs bad"
Kalu

Post by Kalu »

Or the Bolex lenses?
Kalu

Post by Kalu »

Always read the end titles.
Kodak Vision 3.
JCook

Post by JCook »

I shot a few rolls of Kodachrome at the Brickyard over the years. Sadly never got around to doing anything with them other than screening them.

16mm looks a lot better, wish I could have afforded to dabble in it back in the day.