Alphacine in Seattle closing lab

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

woods01

Alphacine in Seattle closing lab

Post by woods01 »

Alphacine in Seattle will no longer be processing film at the end of September. Too bad as they really were quite good in my experience and one of the few places other than Pro8mm to treat Super 8 negative as serious format. They will still be doing digital post but the lab is gone. They are also closing their film vault, so if you have negatives being stored there best to contact them soon!
Will2

Re: Alphacine in Seattle closing lab

Post by Will2 »

Very painful. The great thing about Alpha was you could send any type of film to them and they would get it processed. I remember sending B&W Negative, B&W Reversal, Color Reversal and Color Negative in Super 8, 16 AND 35mm once to them IN ONE ORDER. All came back flawlessly processed and prepped for telecine within a week. They will be missed.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Yeah it sucks. Alpha Cine merged with Forde Labs about 4 or 5 years ago. That's when they started handling all the S8 films and they have been my lab for S8, 16mm, color reversal, B&W, negative for the last 10 years. Living in close by in Portland meant cheap, fast shipping both ways too. I always felt lucky to have all that so close. Now I'll probably start using Spectra in LA. It will take a little longer and cost a little more, but Spectra also does excellent processing. They also handle all types of processing and gauges. I'd encourage folks to support them with your business because they are one of the last great institutions for the small gauge left in the US.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Roster

Post by Roster »

Oh that is a real shame.

Over the past year I've had over two hours of S-8 B/W footage developed by AC for a project I am working on. They were terrific to work with and I found their processing, for some reason, just better than an east coast lab I have also used.
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
Will2

Post by Will2 »

There's actually a lab in Dallas that can handle 16 and 35 negative...Filmworkers. Not sure how much longer they will be around but it's convenient for me. We'll have to start a list of open labs around the world pretty soon.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Reborn member since Sept 2003
marc

Post by marc »

Yeah, its just a shame that Spectra no longer does camera repairs anymore. They did a great job on my 1014AZE.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
DTNethery

Post by DTNethery »

marc wrote:Yeah, its just a shame that Spectra no longer does camera repairs anymore. They did a great job on my 1014AZE.

Hi, Marc,

As I understand it , the same technician that Spectra was using , Steve Willard, still does the repairs though his own company Willard Engineering . (but no longer affiliated with Spectra)

http://willardengineering.com/

marc

Post by marc »

Thanks-I added them to my favorites.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I liked Forde a lot. But, never was a big fan of Alpha Cine. There were water spots on my film more than once and their "clean and prep" never seemed to be much other than adding more leader than they would otherwise.

When Forde was bought by Alpha I stopped using them unless I had no other choice.

It sucks that another lab is gone but it just seems to be the way things are going.

Good Luck