Any camera disengange the built in filter automatically?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

winbert

Any camera disengange the built in filter automatically?

Post by winbert »

I don't know if I were lucky.

I was shooting with Sankyo XL-40S using Ektachrome 100D.

Since that was a daylight stock I should switch the filter from tungsten to daylight but just realized it in the middle of shooting, so I switched it later on.

I was thinking that the first half of shooting would be terrible color due to forget switching the filter.

But when the film arrived from lab, I checked that the picture on the beginning had no different with the other half.

So is there a camera that automatically engage or disengage the filter depending on the notch made on the cartridge?

thanks
mattburn82

Re: Any camera disengange the built in filter automatically?

Post by mattburn82 »

I am not sure what you are asking here. I know my Sankyo CME440 has a switch that will be made/not made if the cartridge is notched for daylight or Tungsten.
winbert

Post by winbert »

I previously shooting with Elmo super 106. This camera has a manual switcher where we have to switch on/off the filter depending of the type of film we are using.

I once forgot to switch this when I was shooting with E100D indoor with high power tungsten shooting lamp. The result of picture was very red.

Now for the case with Sankyo XL-40S, I was shooting with E100D outdoor but the camera setting was for indoor. However the result was just fine.

Or am I mixed up something about the built in filter?
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

From the introduction of the super8 format, all films stocks sold in the Kodapak cartridge were balanced for tungsten illumination.
The built-in filter in all super8 cameras is a orange 85 type filter enabling the use of these films under daylight conditions.

In a lot of super8 cameras, the default setting is that the 85 filter is in place.
In early models, the use of a movie light on top the camera would push the filter out of position. Later models would have a selector switch instead.
The tungsten setting on the camera actually means: no filter.

The introduction of Ektachrome 100D marked the first time a daylight balanced stock was sold in the super8 cartridge.

If your using E100D in daylight, you do not need a filter, so you must set the filter selector to the tungsten position. This may sound strange but that's how it works.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
71er

Post by 71er »

Most of the cameras have a pin in the film compartment, which disengages the filter when a cartridge without bottom notch is inserted. This does not mean that all of those cameras can read E100D right; some will take it as 160D and therefore underexpose slightly.
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
mortron

Post by mortron »

As 71er says above most cameras have a filter pin in the camera. Cartridges of daylight film will push this pin and disengage the internal filter,
as in the case of your Sankyo XL-40S. Tungsten film has a notch cut out of the cartridge, so it misses the pin and doesn't press this filter pin,
so the position of the filter is determined by the filter switch (sun / bulb symbols).

The reason the switch has a bulb symbol and sun symbol, is because all film at one point was all tungsten based, so these switches related to tungsten film.
ie "bulb symbol" - tungsten film under tungsten light and "sun symbol" tungsten film in daylight. Now with daylight film available the symbols don't
work, because for daylight it shouldn't have the filter in place, so it should be set to the bulb position, not daylight - because this disengages the filter.
You shouldn't think of the filter switch as Tungsten and Daylight film, you should think of it as filter out (bulb) and filter in (daylight).

Also the reason you got red images when using the 100D under tungsten light is because it is daylight film. Daylight film needs to be used under daylight. To use it under tungsten light you need to use a blue filter in front on the lens like an 80A filter. This is similar to how to use Tungsten film under daylight you need to use the internal filter of the camera, an orange 85B filter.

Cheers,
Josh
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Most Super8 cameras disengage automatically the internal filter when inserting a "D" type cartridge, no matter what is indicated manually in the external switch. Don't know about the Sankyos