8mm film, thanks for the tips! Take a look at the film!!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

reluctantfilmmaker

8mm film, thanks for the tips! Take a look at the film!!

Post by reluctantfilmmaker »

I posted a while ago and you guys gave me some tips about shooting 8mm. I shot a party I threw for the cast members of my feature film (links below). Here is the film I shot...any suggestions for doing it better next time would be welcome. I used my Bell & Howell Director's Series Regular Double Run 8mm camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vniq35n ... ature=plcp
http://reluctantdetectivemovie.com/
Jean Poirier

Re: 8mm film, thanks for the tips! Take a look at the film!

Post by Jean Poirier »

Cool film, with 8mm people are conscious of the camera motor running and I think this is fun. And the youngest subject will be able to see himself in twenty years with a simple screen and a projector. The light spill was probably caused when opening the camera Jean
BAC

Re: 8mm film, thanks for the tips! Take a look at the film!

Post by BAC »

That was great but I do have a few tips. When you have bright light in the background but your subject is in the shade you will need to compensate for that by opening the iris a few stops. This is where a spot meter comes in handy because you can zero in on the subject without the bright background light affecting it. Some people like the light leaks you get from loading and flipping the film. If you don't want that use a changing bag or throw a blanket or a jacket or something over the camera so you don't expose the film. It takes a little practice to change film without seeing what you're doing, this is where an old roll of expired film comes in handy to practice with.