Foma Processing?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jap-o-lantern films

Foma Processing?

Post by jap-o-lantern films »

Is there a lab in the USA that is currently processing Fomapan?
richard p. t.

Re: Foma Processing?

Post by richard p. t. »

I would recommend you send it to Martin Baumgarten of Plattsburg Photographic Services in NY (I think).
Or else contact Dr 5 http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/f ... wdev1.html
You shouldn't send this to normal motion picture labs I am afraid. Yes, it is true, some people will say they sent a roll to xyz lab and it worked fine. It will sometimes work fine. It depends how much other film has been processed in the developer. Unless it doesn't matter too much to you, I wouldn't risk it with a normal mp lab.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Last I knew, Yale labs will process it at certain times. Give them a call.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

the last I checked dr5 was limited in the length of film they could process. Therefore they could not process motion picture film only slide film. Also they can not slit R8 and DS8 from 16mm to 8mm.

J.S.
Wade

Post by Wade »

Here is some Foma R100 Yale processed in Kodak chemistry yesterday. The scratches were not caused by the lab....

https://vimeo.com/42751732
Wade
jap-o-lantern films

Thanks Everybody! Glad to hear Yale will still process Foma. Good stuff, Will.
jap-o-lantern films

Sorry,Wade. I mean good stuff, Wade. I had two rolls of Fomapan processed by Yale several years ago when the chemicals became an issue. Some of the images were negative and I thought the footage was ruined. It is now some of my favorite.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

jap-o-lantern films wrote:Sorry,Wade. I mean good stuff, Wade. I had two rolls of Fomapan processed by Yale several years ago when the chemicals became an issue. Some of the images were negative and I thought the footage was ruined. It is now some of my favorite.
That is indeed the issue. It sort of looks like solararization. And yes, it looks great. Indeed, in the footage that has been posted above, there is a very brief flash between two shots where you can make out the kind of negative/positive effect you get with this problem. Its not visible in the picture overall, but it may well be there in a subtle way, or it may be that it has a greater propencity to occur in highlight areas, and the blown out flash is a highlight.
rt
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Wade

Post by Wade »

richard p. t. wrote:it may be that it has a greater propencity to occur in highlight areas, and the blown out flash is a highlight.rt
Exactly so, Richard. Keith, the owner of Yale called it "streaking", and showed the fogged blown-out segments all had that bifurcated chiaroscuro---I guess it is a little solarized. But footage with an image did not exhibit that solarization. He said they can't get the silver out of the Foma as thoroughly as with other film stocks, and what they do is push the Foma one stop, and do something a little different with the bleaching. I actually wanted to experiment with bucket processing, but the Foma chemicals were not readily available from either Freestyle, or B&H here in the USA. So, Yale got the nod, and it looks good, except the telecine is a little more jittery than usual, and I'm wondering if that is caused by the film stock since the JK printer's jitter has been consistently not so bad, and usually the Bolex H8 has perfect registration.
Wade