Ripped Film: faulty 100D cart or faulty camera?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

supa8

Ripped Film: faulty 100D cart or faulty camera?

Post by supa8 »

Hi
My friend is having issues with Ektachrome 100D cartridges in his Canon 814 AZ Electronic camera.
I was wondering if it was because of the film carts he purchased (faulty batch) or if it is due to the actual camera.

I remember having issues with some Ektachrome 64T carts a few years ago, where they would jam and the camera would stop, or in some cases, the film would rip at the sprocket (in a Beaulieu for instance, which has a stronger torque than most other cameras). That was definitely cartridge-related.

Now, because the film won't advance anymore halfway through (according to my friend who unfortunately hasn't checked the meter because taking out the carts), wonder if it could actually be camera related. Is there any chance the Canon's claw/advancing mechanism could be damaged and therefore rip the film?

Any input would be welcome on this subject.

I know the obvious thing to do is to compare with other cameras and see, but before we manage to do that, I wanted to know whether I could eliminate a possible camera issue from the list of causes.

Cheers
kII

Re: Ripped Film: faulty 100D cart or faulty camera?

Post by kII »

Hi, I've been having issue's with 100d. Both my 514xl jam when using 100d, remove film and replace with 200t camera runs perfectly. I've noticed fluctuating exposure (when in manual mode) on the beaulieu and leicina camera. Today received back from the lab more 100d, again flickry images, this time with a 1014xls. Some cartridges sound smoother running than others.
Symtons are very similar to early batches of 64t.. Anyone else having technical issues with 100d?
supa8

Post by supa8 »

We don't seem to be the only ones. I have heard of similar reports and after calling Kodak, they admitted another company had had similar issues.
Apparently they have someone looking into it.
I hope they figure this out soon as at the moment, it is a bit of a lottery.
A Canon 1014XL-S (that works fine with any other stock and was used with 100D last year) has just ripped one of my carts.
kII

Post by kII »

Hi, last week i received back from the lab 6 rolls of processed 100d, 4 out of the 6 films displayed image flicker, appears the camera is struggling to expose/transport the stock, 7266 exposed through the same camera was perfect.
Until this problem with 100d is resolved looks like its wittner 50d for me at double the price per cartridge :(

for anyones info, one of the batch no. i'm having issues with is:- 7285 201 021.02 18 (could be 1B)
Last edited by kII on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

I got my five 100D cartridges from bhphotovideo two days ago. Let's see how it will go! Hope it will not be money down the drain!
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

This is the reason I went back to shooting Ektachrome 100D in standard 8mm. No more jamming of the cart. The sharpness also looks better in standard 8. My opinion of course.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

The other great thing is knowing the reel will run through the camera without a problem. Been using a Bolex P4 and K2. Awesome results.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

so far I only shot a single cart of e100d (some months ago). However it caused problems in my Elmo Super 103: It sounded "strange" like if the camera's transport-mechanism got stuck now and then. And the film got stuck :( The effect looks like this: 30 frames okay, 1 frame stuck and hence overexposed (nearly completely white), 40 frames okay, 1 frame stuck, 20 frames okay, 1 frame stuck, 10 frames okay, 2 frames stuck, 50 frames okay ... . The camera was working fine when I shot my last silent K40s with it (approx. 5 years ago). However since then it was laying in the cupboard as I was shooting Single8/DS8 in the meantime. So it could be that some grease in the camera dried out or that some belts in the camera became brittle in the meantime.
Will shoot some more E100D this weekend (this time with a Canon 310XL as I need a compact camera). One of the carts is most likely from the batch as I bought two carts back then. Will try to look up the batch number this evening...

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Batch 7285 181 018.03 18
So far it sounds like the film doesn't cause problems in my Canon 310XLS... (of course I'll still have to finish the film and wait for the lab to be 100% sure)
Jean Poirier

Post by Jean Poirier »

I had two rolls shot with a Beaulieu 4008ZM II and results were fine. One roll with a Canon 514XLS was overexposed and with some flicker. I must admit that I did not check information about exposure with a Canon before shooting. Jean
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

I finally managed to watch the processed film: my Canon 310XL didn't have any problems with exposure, transport, ... . :D

Jörg
Jean Poirier

Post by Jean Poirier »

Interesting results with a 310XL. My Canon 514XL-S will expose Tri-X but I wonder if E100D without daylight filter is correctly notched. Jean
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Jean Poirier wrote:I wonder if E100D without daylight filter is correctly notched.
Kodak's original E100D is correctly notched as 100 ASA Daylight. Other cartridges that contain E100D, e.g. from Pro8mm, from Wittner, ... , might be notched incorrectly.
Jean Poirier

Post by Jean Poirier »

My mistake. Should have said if the Canon 514 XLS will read 100 asa correctly. Jean