Does anyone still develop kodachrome 40?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

slashmaster

Does anyone still develop kodachrome 40?

Post by slashmaster »

I just bought a camera with kodachrome 40 still in it. Does anyone still develop it? It also came with an unopened ektachrome 160 cartridge that says process before march 78. There is no hope for that right?
granfer

Re: Does anyone still develop kodachrome 40?

Post by granfer »

First question. Answer: NO
Second question. Answer: Probably no hope.
aj

Post by aj »

Kodachrome can be processed into BW negative by Filmrescue in Canada. It takes considerable money and time.

Or reversal if you DIY...

The old unused film better stays in a display or something.

Don't think of Rocky mountain lab. They are out off business and despite their website: don't send films!
Kind regards,

André
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

slashmaster wrote:I just bought a camera with kodachrome 40 still in it. Does anyone still develop it? It also came with an unopened ektachrome 160 cartridge that says process before march 78. There is no hope for that right?
The Ektachrome 160 had some improvements made in 1982 I think which resulted in it needing new processing chemicals - so this is the first problem - it will be harder to get processed. Secondly a 'high speed' film of this age not properly stored will more than likely be unusable. The again - I was quite amazed by this:-

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/blackandwhi ... nt_5261220

a roll of tri-x regular 8 that was best before 1979!
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Martin Baumgarten will process both KMA 40 and E160. The KM is B/W reversal or Sepia reversal. He has good luck with old film. He will send examples of KM processed as B/W or sepia. The cost is $35.00.
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

Leo Stehlik once posted of someone in the Czech Republic who had been able to replicate the K-14 process, but I think it was a home-made job rather than a commercially available service. Might be worth PM'ing him to find out...
granfer

Post by granfer »

The results were so bad as to be absolutely POINTLESS!
We seem to repeat this series of posts AD NAUSEUM... what is the "Search" facility for?
BORING!!!!!!!!
aj

Post by aj »

The board search facility is near useless. People better use google and apply the site:filmshooting.com argument.

Considering the age of the forum board many topics have been discussed before.

Others need a holiday :)
Kind regards,

André
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Martin baumgarten has had good results processing Kodachrome as B/W sepia. email him at <super8mm@aol.com> for examples.

There are people who have Kodachrome they want processed for some reason. Let's not be nasty but helpful even if the question is tiring.

J.S.
MartinBaumgarten

Post by MartinBaumgarten »

KODACHROME [Process K-14] can still be processed to a B&W Negative (as can any photographic film with a few exceptions...such as Foma R-100 which requires the Bleach to remove the remjet which is silver based, but that's another story). IF the film is not too old, say not more than 10 or 12 years kept at room temperature, or cold stored since new, or of recent manufacture, then it can still be Reversal processed; in B&W Reversal or in Sepia tone. Regarding the processing of K-14 films as Color Reversal, there are some folks experimenting with that, but realistically, the complexity to do motion picture film compared to the still film experimentation.....is an entirely more involved. If someone can do it, that would be great of course.

However, even if color reversal processing were available (and this pertains to the very old K-12 process films as well), the point would be moot. Unless the film has been stored frozen all these years either prior or since exposure, trying to reversal process it would just yield washed out film with a magenta cast. Some films will have a very faint image, showing hardly any detail at all. This is why places such as Film Rescue, PPS, and when they were going okay Rocky Mountain Film Lab, mainly offer Negative processing of such old film. Done as a Negative, the default proces for virtually all film, there's at least a good chance of getting an image out of the film, often a dense one, but one that can be printed from to make photos, and for movie films, images that can be transferred to a video format as a viewable positive. This should only be done really to save anything from long ago that has historic or personal family value. I don't recommend bothering shooting such old film, but many do and want to experiment. It's good to know the facts though.

I have posted some pics of what KODACHROME film looks like processed as B&W Reversal and in Sepia, mainly test shots of gray cards and color charts in my backyard, but some others. These were done on Super 8mm KMA Sound Film, rated normally, and pushed in the lab to get the density in the correct ballpark.
Here's a link to the site: http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... aumgarten/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maprice123

Post by maprice123 »

Loosely following Mr. Baumgarten's instructions for k-40 B&W reversal development posted on other places on the web, I was able to get these results:

http://vimeo.com/20326051

http://vimeo.com/21689596

Also, I got respectable results using Mr. B's kodachrome-as-B&W negative development instructions on some k64 35mm film shot in a still camera.
monobath

Post by monobath »

I have 50 carts of K40 in my freezer, so I'll be using it and processing it as b&w reversal.
Skip