Nizo 6080 VS Nikon R10

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

ivitopp

Nizo 6080 VS Nikon R10

Post by ivitopp »

Hey all, im new around here, but have been reading for long time.

Probably this question has multiple answers and varies from one's preference, but i will narrow the scope by adding some variables:

I will be shooting a documentary (appx 15-19 mins) and i am planning to get one of the 2 mentioned cameras (or maybe another that might suit my needs more)

1. I will shoot a LOT of interview (so lipsync is a must for me) this plays two factors, one that i will need stable speeds with sync (im planning to sync the cam to my SONY TC-D5 PRO) to adjust the tape acording to the camera speeds. And the second is that the camera will need to be as quiet as possible when filming.

2. I like to have support for 400ft magazines. I know the nizo has this option, not sure on the R10 (i have found a place that sells 400ft bobines, does any one know where to find an enclosure to fit the camera??)

I think these are the points that concern me the most.

Now i know most people say that the R10 has the best sharpnes ect ect, but im not really after cuting sharpness, i dont mind at all really.

I have found a very good deal for both actually, and they are almost at the same price range: the R10 comes naked, on the other hand the nizo 6080 comes with all the extras including matte box, filters ect ect, but it has a film transport problem. (i am very handy with fixing cameras, so i dont think it will be a very hard thing to fix it)

Im actually building my own HD telecine machine, and i will look also to find some film processors, to process my own films.

I want to cut as much as i can the costs so i can invest in some good lights, and GOOD mic, plus the sadisfaction to make all the processes myself is priceless.

Thank you very much for your time reading/replying to my questions. :)
rlorenz2

Re: Nizo 6080 VS Nikon R10

Post by rlorenz2 »

The Nikon R10 as I know does not accept the 400ft cartridges. The Nizo 6080 uses a belt which makes it very quiet (which may be the problem in the film transport you speak of ie. easy fix). Also it has an excellent lens and takes the 400ft cartridges. I would go with the Nizo they are very reliable ( I have a nizo pro which has never let me down). good luck on your project and telecine machine.
My films

http://vimeo.com/user1869478
71er

Post by 71er »

I have only got experience with the Nizo 6080 and I have to say it runs so quietly that the loudest sound is the clicking of the Super 8 cartridge (the take up spool has got this mechanism so it doesn't unwind). The only thing it is lacking is a variable shutter angle, beside that a really great camera!
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
aj

Post by aj »

What 400ft magazines? Would that be one of the pre-production Supermag 400's ? The Beaulieu SD drive takes only 200ft reels.

The 200ft Kodachromes were discontinued some 15 years ago. And processing was stopped last 30th december. :(

The R10 doesn't take Sound or Extending magazines. Modifying it would imply loosing the viewfinder as its path is on top of the cartridge bay. Making it ready for sound cartridges would mean cutting away the bottom and building something new there.

The 6080 has a top door for extending magazines but is not suitable for the Beaulieu SD Drive as its drive is not powerful enough and it doesn't have the electrical connector. If the drive belt breaks you are done.

Better start shooting using standard cartridges and using two cameras :)
Limit your shot length to 2.5 minutes
Kind regards,

André
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

Nizo 6080 is probably the quitiest Super8 camera. The lens in the Nikon are superb but that Nizo is a top camera as well.
ivitopp

Post by ivitopp »

Thanks for all the replies :)
aj wrote:What 400ft magazines? Would that be one of the pre-production Supermag 400's ? The Beaulieu SD drive takes only 200ft reels.
Yes, do you know if i can find any one of these around these days?
aj wrote:Better start shooting using standard cartridges and using two cameras :)
Limit your shot length to 2.5 minutes
Yes i know, but it will be a little more difficult, as i dont want to stop the subjects after 2.5mins to change the cartdrige, (they will talk about emotive stories, and i think they will need some talk time before reaching the true answer i need from the interview)
but going with 2 cams seems the best way to go, start one when the other finishes the film,

I think that Nizo 6080 is the way to go for what i need (i am reading a lot of user experiences that say that this cam is super silent).
I am trying to find some place that sell transportation belts online for this camera, any one knows any?

more experiences with the Nizo 6080 will help me more with my decision :)

Thanks again for your time :)
Claus

Post by Claus »

For what it is worth about the drive belt in the big Nizo:

I lost my lovely Nizo 3056 sound camera precisely because the silly little belt snapped, and if you have ever taken the side panel off any of the sound Nizos, you will see that the path of the belt vanishes under the circuit boards.
If you have the skills to lift the boards out without damage, that's great, but I was not about to attempt this, since the boards do not just disengage for service.

I am not trying to discourage you, just mentioning what awaits if you decide to fix the belt. It is not a smart design, but then again, we were not really supposed to go inside these anyway. :wink:

Good luck with your project.

Claus.
aj

Post by aj »

ivitopp wrote:Thanks for all the replies :)
aj wrote:What 400ft magazines? Would that be one of the pre-production Supermag 400's ? The Beaulieu SD drive takes only 200ft reels.
Yes, do you know if i can find any one of these around these days?

Thanks again for your time :)
I suppose Supermag400 produced some 5 magazines. All pre-productions experimentals things. I expect all are in USA and I don't know if any owner is likely to sell. You could try to contact the Supermag guy somehow.

The Beaulieu SD drive has become rare too. I haven't seen one for sale for months if not years :( Ask Wittner? Maybe they are aquainted with an owner who might sell. These things only fit Beaulieu 9008 cameras, possibly the 7008 or 6008 too. All need to be made suitable for the SD. These cameras are nice and quiet too.

You could also build your own large magazine. Make it suitable for the 60meter reels. Use an empty cartrdige as a basis to fit the camera cardtridge bay. I am not sure if it will be as reliable as a SD drive. :)
You could also refill a Kodak 200ft cartridge. Do-able but a difficult chore.

Good luck
Kind regards,

André
BK

Post by BK »

ivitopp wrote:I am trying to find some place that sell transportation belts online for this camera, any one knows any?
Belt for a walkman cassette player/recorder in the right size will work, if you can find a seller online.

Bill
ivitopp

Post by ivitopp »

BK wrote:Belt for a walkman cassette player/recorder in the right size will work, if you can find a seller online.
Thanks Bill, thats great news, i can easly find belts for cassette players, and for cheap :)

Thanks again for all the replies, :)