Strange noise with sound cart and single frame

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

vidwerk

Strange noise with sound cart and single frame

Post by vidwerk »

I'm currently filming timelapse with my Canon 814XLS in timelapse at 1fps with a cart of k40 sound. Each time the frame triggers it is making an unusual sound, almost as if gears are slipping. Does anyone know if the sound differs from that of a silent cart?

Thanks,

vidwerk.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: Strange noise with sound cart and single frame

Post by S8 Booster »

Not completly sure about this but isnt time lapse only possible with silent carts only? Check the manual. It is downloadable somewhere on the net. Links posted somewhere on this forum too.

Shoot.....8....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

I do not believe this is the case. Reading through the manual, it states:
"The portion of the film which is exposed using the single frame or interval timer mechanism will be silent even if a sound cartridge is loaded"
Come to think of it, I remember shooting timelapse on a sound cart before with the same camera and it was fine. Hopefully it won't pose a problem this time round.

vidwerk.
etimh

Post by etimh »

What kind of sound gets recorded doing the timelapse?

Do you know what you're going to get or are you doing this experiment hoping for some kind of weird fragmentary soundscape? Or are you just sacrificing the soundtrack for the K40?

I'm interested, as I have two carts of sound K40 that I am at a complete loss about what to do with them. Inspiration has abandoned me and time is running out! Yikes!

Tim
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

It is very important to clean the gate and all rollers etc with this cam. Under other circumstances sound got distorted if not regulary cleaned. The loop may get lost and cause strange noise being too tight.

Shoot 8
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

It is very important to clean the gate and all rollers etc with this cam. Under other circumstances sound got distorted if not regulary cleaned. The loop may get lost and cause strange noise being too tight.

Shoot 8
dave

Post by dave »

see my offer of 20 rolls of kma594 sound film with freesound cameraif interested pm me