Anyone here use the Nizo Ultra Wide lens? Messed up a shoot

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nrk

Anyone here use the Nizo Ultra Wide lens? Messed up a shoot

Post by Nrk »

So, in keeping with the whole "I'm a jackass" thing that I've had going on since birth, I recently managed to waste about 6 hours of prep work and a couple of hours of stop motion super 8 shooting thanks to my inability to put my nizo wide angle lens instructions back in the box.

On my 1014xls, when using the wide lens, you just set the camera to macro and set the focus ring to infinity. I assumed that this would be the case for the Nizo as well but a few days after the shoot I found the instructions which stated that (in macro mode) you have to set the focal distance to infinity and "sight an object at 50cm or 1m and focus with the aid of the split viewfinder." I didn't do the sighting an object bit, I just set the camera to infinity and stuck the camera into macro. When I looked through the viewfinder, the subject (who was more than a meter away) was not in focus and the split viewfinder was "off" as far as I remember all of the time. This has to be why my footage has come back out of focus, hasn't it? On the same reel the footage without the UWL is sharp and in focus.

I'd like to say I can't believe that I was such an idiot but the truth is that I can easily believe that I was such an idiot. I blame my mum for being in labour for 72 hours, that can't be good for the brain.

I also had vignetting. When set up correctly do Nizo users experience vignetting when shooting wide open?

ta'
Andersens Tears

Re: Anyone here use the Nizo Ultra Wide lens? Messed up a sh

Post by Andersens Tears »

Hi - Don't worry what is done, is done.

With the Nizo you need to lock it into macro, set the focus ring to infinity and then focus using the zoom ring matching up the image with the split image rangefinder. It is important that you also have the diopter set up correctly otherwise all that matching up will be out.

In this 'video' you'll see some shots I did with my Nizo 481 macro and Ultra Wide I attached.

It was in good sunlight so I did not experience any vingetting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32NG6gp30lg

Jamie :wink:
Nrk

Post by Nrk »

With the canon you don't worry about the split viewfinder when using the wide lens but obviously that's not the case with the Nizo. Now my concern is whether I will get vignetting when I shoot with the Auto Bulb mode as it locks the aperture wide open. Nothing I can do in this respect though so I will just have to work with what I get.

On another note, as I was sitting typing this I thought I was being haunted by some weird ass ghost but your You tube clip was playing in the background and at about 4 mins there is 10 seconds of some audio pad but I couldn't figure out what was going on because I had no other sites open and when I went to your video it was silent again, took me about 2 minutes to realize that my computer wasn't possessed. That's my excitement for the day. Little amuses the innocent. And the dumb.

ta'
neil
romeojesus

Post by romeojesus »

I use the lens in combination with my leicina special (6-66 schneider)..

I always use the macro focus ring to focus...but the edge between
sharp and blurry is very very narrow...so narrow that I have to
fix the macro focus ring with extra tape so that it does not move a bit...
getting the split focus thing on point is very crucial on my setup...

on my last shot with 200t I was not careful enough..so the footage
did not turn out as sharp as it could..

here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tCe05f6JNQ

on this shooting everything turned out pretty sharp

http://vimeo.com/3351597