What codec to use for iPad movies?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

What codec to use for iPad movies?

Post by MovieStuff »

Okay, so I have an iPhone and and iPad. I have tried all sorts of .MOV file codecs on my PC and I can not find one that will play on my iPhone or iPad. I know that neither will allow Flashplayers but movies shot on my iPhone will play just fine on both and they are .MOV files, so what's the dang deal?

Anyone?

Roger
super8man

Re: What codec to use for iPad movies?

Post by super8man »

Wow, so excited to the first to reply! I know, it's dead around here...

Anyway, hey, the thing to use is MAINCONCEPT AVC/AAC (mp4) and within that there is a choice for apple ipod video which my default specs are"
Audio - 128kps 48000
video - 480kps 29.97 320x240

Works great on my ipod - I use vegas.

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Not completely sure and have never touched the Pad but in quicktime for the MAC there is an default setting for export to iPhone which should be fine for The Pad too I believe. Im not near any of my MACs right now so - I'm on the iP - so I am not able to check i out but if you haven't got it sorted out in time I'll post it later today.

Shoot....

Edit: a quick surf on the Goog came up with this and further googling may tell you more as it looked like there were some info there on the Apple support pages as well:
http://mobi.creativecow.net/thread/232/ ... d/232/1086
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

tried to export a clip via QT and the results were identical to the information in the link above - export as to Apple TV - H.264 becoming a .m4v file.

the info in the link above contains the upper limit setting for the iPad.

shoot......
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
ekoe

Post by ekoe »

yup, .m4v
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I thought there was a way from iTunes to convert...

Ah. Just drop the .mov into iTunes in any codec then goto the "advanced" tab and there's an option to create an "iPad or Apple TV Version."
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Will2 wrote:I thought there was a way from iTunes to convert...

Ah. Just drop the .mov into iTunes in any codec then goto the "advanced" tab and there's an option to create an "iPad or Apple TV Version."
Oh, man! I just tried it! That's awesome! Could not be easier. Works just great and cuts my file sizes in half. Thanks!!!!!! Now I'm going to go back and re-render all my clips on my JQ page. Cooooool!

Roger
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

I can recommend Handbrake (www.handbrake.fr).

Works great for iPhone and AppleTV. Haven't tried it for iPad, but I'm sure that works well too.

Free - ofcourse.

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

MovieStuff wrote: Oh, man! I just tried it! That's awesome! Could not be easier. Works just great and cuts my file sizes in half. Thanks!!!!!! Now I'm going to go back and re-render all my clips on my JQ page. Cooooool!

Roger
Still waiting :-)

I usually look at my email in the morning on my iPad and when I see a JQ update I read it while eating my fruit loops. But I can't see the final clip result until I sit in the evening in front of my macpro.

Watching the clip two or three times would allow my to have a second bowl of fruit loops !

François
Sasounet
Will2

Post by Will2 »

MovieStuff wrote: Oh, man! I just tried it! That's awesome! Could not be easier.
Now you can show people while you're in line at the grocery store!

Those ipads are addictive. Much more useful than I actually expected.