Is an HD Super 8 transfer overkill?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Uppsala BildTeknik

Re: Is an HD Super 8 transfer overkill?

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Old thread revival!
carllooper wrote:So Kent is quite okay about spending his own time (if not money) on doing/comparing an SD and an HD scan.
Yes I compared a SD transfer to a HD transfer. You have not done this, and that is what makes your test flawed. You compared a HD transfer resized to different resoutions. It is not the same as comparing a SD transfer to a HD transfer. ;)
carllooper wrote:Or to use a Kent analogy he's quite happy to cross the river (a HD transfer) to get some water (an SD transfer).
I think you missed the point. No, I did not do a HD transfer in order to get a SD-version. I did a SD transfer with a SD machine to get a SD-version.

And I did a HD transfer with a HD machine to get a HD-version.
carllooper wrote:But doing a single HD scan, and downsampling that (as I did), costs less than doing an SD transfer and an HD transfer (which is what Kent did).
Yes, of course it will cost less. It will also not give you a comparison of a SD transfer to a HD transfer. You are comparing the same transfer resized to different resolutions.

It is not the same, and it will not give you the same results, as comparing a SD transfer to a HD transfer.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:
Yes I compared a SD transfer to a HD transfer. You have not done this, and that is what makes your test flawed. You compared a HD transfer resized to different resoutions. It is not the same as comparing a SD transfer to a HD transfer. ;
Agreed. SD technology/quality comes in many varieties and I've never seen any that looks as good as oversampling in HD and down converting to SD. This is because even the best SD cameras have a massive sharpening circuit that all imagery is processed through otherwise it will be incredibly soft and out of focus. Thus a large degree of perceived detail in an SD image is totally artificial. It works much better than it should, honestly, and to be fair HD and even DSLR imaging also use sharpening but not as much because they have more pure resolution to start with. However, the bottom line is that an SD image starts "soft" and is then artificially sharpened to SD quality. That is going to look markedly different than starting with something already "sharp" like an HD image and then down-rezzing it to SD resolution.

If anyone thinks that's really the same, then capturing in HD will look exactly the same as capturing with a DSLR and down converting to HD. Obviously that isn't true, either. There are inherent flaws in any capture format, no matter how large the image. But, the smaller the image, the more these flaws must be artificially compensated for through real time digital processing to make it acceptable. The subtle nuances created by this processing throughout the SD image is unique to that format and impossible ( nor desirable) to recreate via down converting from HD. Not only does a larger image start with fewer flaws, but down converting via software benefits from zero time constraints versus quality whereas the original SD imaging must attenuate and process the soft raw image in real time, which is never ideal. That's also why SD footage unconverted to HD via a software render always looks better than a real time uprezz during display.

So when someone says they are going to do an SD transfer to see what it looks like, it should be assumed they are doing an actual SD transfer with SD technology and not an oversampled HD transfer that is then down converted using software to SD.
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

Em, sorry, what about the possible HD rolling shutter issue - won't that cut in if you are trying direct capture, as opposed to frame-by-frame capture?

Ric
Uppsala BildTeknik

Sorry, I have no idea (I only use professional gear). Try if it works and report how it goes. :)

But it has nothing to do with the topic in this thread, so perhaps you would have been better off to create a new thread about it?
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

mr_x wrote:Em, sorry, what about the possible HD rolling shutter issue - won't that cut in if you are trying direct capture, as opposed to frame-by-frame capture?

Ric
Yes, you are correct. With a global shutter on a CCD, you have quite a bit of latitude in the speed of the projector before visible flicker becomes objectionable. But with a rolling shutter on a CMOS chip, the margin for error is very tiny and gets worse the faster the running speed or smaller the shutter blade opening. If the opening in the shutter is big enough to view an entire frame in the stop position of the projector, then maintaining sync isn't so hard. But when the shutter blade opening becomes a slit that will let you see only a portion of the frame in the stop position, then you have to very precisely sync the speed of the projector to the scan rate of the CMOS chip, otherwise you get a scan line that drifts up or down the screen. This can be done by eye in wild sync by adjusting the projector speed but it's not easy. Ideally, you need to sync the projector's advance rate to the vertical interval of the camera in an even division of the video fields. This is usually done with a microprocessor controlled motor that references the video output of the camera.

Hope this helps!

Roger
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

MovieStuff wrote:With a global shutter on a CCD, you have quite a bit of latitude in the speed of the projector before visible flicker becomes objectionable. But with a rolling shutter on a CMOS chip, the margin for error is very tiny and gets worse the faster the running speed or smaller the shutter blade opening...Hope this helps!
Yes indeed! It fleshes out what someone else told me about using 3CCD for HD. CMOS seems like a bit of a nuisance.

Ric
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:Old thread revival!
carllooper wrote:So Kent is quite okay about spending his own time (if not money) on doing/comparing an SD and an HD scan.
Yes I compared a SD transfer to a HD transfer. You have not done this, and that is what makes your test flawed. You compared a HD transfer resized to different resoutions. It is not the same as comparing a SD transfer to a HD transfer. ;)
carllooper wrote:Or to use a Kent analogy he's quite happy to cross the river (a HD transfer) to get some water (an SD transfer).
I think you missed the point. No, I did not do a HD transfer in order to get a SD-version. I did a SD transfer with a SD machine to get a SD-version.

And I did a HD transfer with a HD machine to get a HD-version.
carllooper wrote:But doing a single HD scan, and downsampling that (as I did), costs less than doing an SD transfer and an HD transfer (which is what Kent did).
Yes, of course it will cost less. It will also not give you a comparison of a SD transfer to a HD transfer. You are comparing the same transfer resized to different resolutions.

It is not the same, and it will not give you the same results, as comparing a SD transfer to a HD transfer.
I missed this old thread revival. Uppsala is at it again. I guess I should respond. Have been away on work for the last month.

My original test involved an HD scan that was downsampled to SD. Uppsala insists this is not the same as doing an SD transfer. And I totally agree. It's not the same. However in terms of what was being discussed it did not have to be the same. The argument was about whether there was any additional signal in the HD scan over an SD scan. This can be demonstrated (I argued) by doing an HD scan, downsampling it to SD and then comparing the two. If the only difference between the two is noise then there is nothing to be gained in doing HD. But if one can read a signal in the difference then there is something to be gained in doing HD. This is a very different argument from saying an SD scan and a downsampled HD scan are the same thing. In the context of the original argument a downsampled HD signal is a sufficient proxy for SD in terms of what is being discussed.

The only reason for not scanning film at HD is cost on the one hand and the erroneous argument that there is nothing to be gained on the other.

Now I respect Uppsala's argument to some extent. There is a difference between downsampled HD and SD but the difference doesn't actually matter in the context of the argument. Uppsala thinks it matters but it doesn't. In another context it would matter a lot. Indeed it is precisely subtle differences like this that I am the first to point out as important. But the context is also the important thing. The context here is a technical theoretical one but with concrete practical outcomes.

If you can afford an HD transfer you will get better results. My very simple and cheap test proves it. But only if you can follow the technical reasons why it does prove it.

Now one thing in favour of Uppsala's side of the argument is that he is speaking in terms of existant transfer systems, so if you were, for example, considering a transfer done at a HD transfer house A vs an SD transfer house B then it makes sense to test those houses against each other and look at the difference. In this context the terms "HD" and "SD" could very well be meaningless. You would need to test and find out. My side of the argument is really from a DIY point of view. If you were building your own transfer system and wondering (for example) whether to purchase an HD camera or just use an SD camera for it. Now because I understand the theoretical difference between HD and SD I reasoned quite correctly that I didn't have to test the SD camera. All I had to do was use the HD camera (which I already had) and downsample the result to SD. I could then compare each using software exactly the same as the "Difference" function in Photoshop to see if there was any signal in the difference between the HD and the downsampled HD. If there was a signal in the difference (not just noise) then there was something to be gained in using HD.

What I found is that there was a signal in the difference. It wasn't just noise in the difference. If it was just noise then I could question my setup. But if it wasn't just noise, or rather, if there was evidence of the original image (which I could recognise as a human being) then it wasn't my setup producing that result. How could it? It would have to be a function of something external to the system (ie. the original image) that was succeeding in being inscribed there in the HD but not in the downsampled HD (proxy SD).

This does not mean you shouldn't do a comparison using an an actual SD camera capture. I'm all for that as well. It's just that you (or I at least) don't have to do it. I used some intelligence to byapss that. Uppsala would do well to think through what I'm saying and see the simple sense of it. The argument is about whether there was anything to be gained in HD scanning - not whether downsampled HD is the same as SD.

But lets think it through once again. If you don't like using your brain then by all means leave the discussion now and bleat on about how ridiculous I am. For everyone else, see if your brain can decide. The question is this: is there anything to be gained doing an HD transfer? Why such a question? Because HD costs money and I don't want to have to spend money if I don't have to. I' might be persuaded to spend some money if there is something to be gained. That's the central point of the question. If money wasn't an issue then we'd all be scanning at 64K and not have to think. Ok. By something to be gained we would probably mean, or at least I mean, more information out of the film. By information I don't mean jut more noise. I mean something that is in the original film, that the HD sees but the SD doesn't. If it's just noise I probably wouldn't be interested. Hell I can just add noise if I want that. A lot damn cheaper. So the issue is whether there is additional information. The next issue is whether the setup I used demonstrates additional information. Or am I just fooling myself? Or worse, fooling others!

Well here's the thing. What does an SD camera do that an HD camera doesn't do? Well the SD camera records the film image using bigger sensor cells or bigger "pixels". What would otherwise occupy 2x2 pixels or 4x4 pixels in the HD, occupies only 1x1 pixel in the SD. Now if the information in the 2x2 or 4x4 HD pixels is just random then you may as well just use the 1x1 SD pixels. it's cheaper and some argue it looks better even if there was information in the HD pixels - but that's another story (and a legitimate one). But what is being queried here, for the moment, is whether there is more information in the HD than the SD, or if it's just more noise.

Well the simple approach is to do an HD scan and then integrate the 2x2 or 4x4 pixels into 1x1 pixels, ie. downsample the image. If there was only noise in the HD signals then you won't see any signal in the difference between the two. You'll only see noise. But if you do see see a signal in the difference where did it come from? It must have been in the HD signal. In other words the HD is giving us something the downsampled HD didn't.

Why? Because I took information away from the HD signal (squashing 2x2 or 4x4 pixels into 1x1 pixels). Gone. Voomossh. When I look at the difference I'm restoring that lost information - but only that information. Everything else is cancelled out. If the result is noise then I know that all I removed was noise. If the result is a signal then I know I removed a signal.

This test is actually more accurate than two otherwise independant tests because it factors out any other influences on what is being queried. One is testing the information capacity of the film rather than the quality of any particular scanning system. That's what it's actually all about. The film image. Not the scan. If there is more information in the film then one might like to transfer that information in a scan. If any scan (not just HD) shows more information than a downsampled pass of it then that scan can be rated as possibly worth it. Only when you find a scanning resolution that doesn't see anything more than a downsampled one does can you treat the scan as possibly overkill. I say possible because you never really know.

----

Now the flip side of this argument is this. While there is more information to be extracted in an HD scan there is also more noise. Some are willing to sacrifice the additional signal for less noise. They prefer a lower definition scan because it cancels out more of the noise. An SD scan can look better than an HD scan for this reason - not because there is no more signal to be found in an HD scan over an SD scan (there most certainly is) but because there is less noise (or can be) in an SD scan.

but what I've found in my own tests is that the higher the definition, certainly the more noise there is but the more pinpoint it is, ie. not as clumpy, finer, more beautiful, more organic, and the more "invisible" it seems to become. It's as if the argument between the signal and the noise extends all the way down to the atomic level. I'm exaggerating of course 9being poetic) but that's what it seems. neither seems to have the upper hand no matter how high the scanning rez.

Carl
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

I watched a video clip of the UK jubilee fly-over recently, the propellers on the veteran aeroplanes seemed to be going round at the rate of a clock second hand - i take it that is the cmos rolling shutter in action?

Thanks
RCBasher

Post by RCBasher »

Irrelevant to this discussion, but if the blades still look straight then no is the answer to your question. You will just be seeing a beat frequency between the speed of the propellers and the frame rate of the camera. If the blades look bent in a circular pattern (like they were made of rubber) then this would be a sign of a rolling shutter.
Off all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
RCBasher

Post by RCBasher »

mr_x wrote:
MovieStuff wrote:With a global shutter on a CCD, you have quite a bit of latitude in the speed of the projector before visible flicker becomes objectionable. But with a rolling shutter on a CMOS chip, the margin for error is very tiny and gets worse the faster the running speed or smaller the shutter blade opening...Hope this helps!
Yes indeed! It fleshes out what someone else told me about using 3CCD for HD. CMOS seems like a bit of a nuisance.

Ric
Still OT, but one should not equate shutter type with sensor type. Although the general case may be true today, there are CMOS sensors with global shutters and line scan CCD sensors which will give a rolling shutter effect over a frame for example. Doesn't matter if the subject (e.g. film frame) and lighting is static while being exposed, does matter if either are changing.
Off all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
mr_x

Post by mr_x »

OK thanks - sorry, most of this is over my head.
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

MovieStuff wrote:SD technology/quality comes in many varieties and I've never seen any that looks as good as oversampling in HD and down converting to SD.
Referring to HD scanning as "oversampling" is interesting.
This is because even the best SD cameras have a massive sharpening circuit that all imagery is processed through otherwise it will be incredibly soft and out of focus.
No matter how good the SD sharpening circuitry it won't be able to get the image any sharper than the cutoff frequency of the sensor cells. All it can ever do is sharpen any information that was above the cutoff frequency of the sensor cells.
Thus a large degree of perceived detail in an SD image is totally artificial. It works much better than it should, honestly, and to be fair HD and even DSLR imaging also use sharpening but not as much because they have more pure resolution to start with.
Indeed. An HD scan starts off with more "pure resolution" (more of the original image) than the SD scan. The HD scan can see more of the original image than the SD can, no matter how good the sharpening circuitry of the SD scan.
However, the bottom line is that an SD image starts "soft" and is then artificially sharpened to SD quality.
Absolutely.
That is going to look markedly different than starting with something already "sharp" like an HD image and then down-rezzing it to SD resolution.
Yes. That's right. The SD scan, no matter how good the sharpening circuitry, can't ever be any sharper than the down-rezzed HD. The down-rezzed HD acts as an image of that point beyond which an SD scan can't get any better. That is why using a down-rezzed HD as a reference is a good reference. The down-rezzed HD represents the best that SD could ever do.
If anyone thinks that's really the same, then capturing in HD will look exactly the same as capturing with a DSLR and down converting to HD. Obviously that isn't true, either.
As if that was ever the argument. Kent makes the following proposition: "Yes I compared a SD transfer to a HD transfer. You have not done this, and that is what makes your test flawed." He then proceeds to argue why they are not the same (and they are not) but doesn't argue why that makes my test flawed. He is changing the argument into whether SD and downrezHD they are the same or not, rather than taking on what exactly is flawed about how I did it.
There are inherent flaws in any capture format, no matter how large the image. But, the smaller the image, the more these flaws must be artificially compensated for through real time digital processing to make it acceptable. The subtle nuances created by this processing throughout the SD image is unique to that format and impossible ( nor desirable) to recreate via down converting from HD.
All those nuances become irrelevant in relation to the debate. If the down-rezzed HD represents the best that SD could ever do (ever) then it can be used instead of any real world SD scan.
Not only does a larger image start with fewer flaws, but down converting via software benefits from zero time constraints versus quality whereas the original SD imaging must attenuate and process the soft raw image in real time, which is never ideal.
Yes. A larger image (HD) starts off with fewer flaws. An SD scan can't look any better than an HD scan no matter how good it's circuitry.
That's also why SD footage unconverted to HD via a software render always looks better than a real time uprezz during display.
Another good point.
So when someone says they are going to do an SD transfer to see what it looks like, it should be assumed they are doing an actual SD transfer with SD technology and not an oversampled HD transfer that is then down converted using software to SD.
Yes. There is a difference. The problem is that this difference is not the issue. When someone says they are comparing an HD signal with a down-rezzed version of such one can assume they are comparing an HD scan with what would be better than an SD scan could ever achieve (or at worse, the same). They are not proposing that down-rez HD is the same as SD. They are proposing that the down-rez HD represents the best that that SD could ever achieve (or at worse the same).

Which is the actual argument. The argument that HD is not overkill is based on the proposition that downrezHD = best/ideal SD. And that if there is a difference (other than noise), between an HD scan and the best SD could ever do, then it is the same as saying that the HD scan gives us something more than the best that SD could ever achieve.

And if HD does this - if HD is better than the best that SD could ever do, then HD scanning is something one can consider. It provides something more than what SD could ever achieve. It answers the thread question in a perfectly valid way.

We arrive at the same conclusions as Kent, (that HD scanning has something to offer) without ever doing a real world SD test, precisely because we can just recreate the best that SD could ever do from the HD scan. Kent's proposition that my test is invalid, doesn't hold.

Or to put it another way, if there were no difference (other than noise) between HD and the best that SD could ever do then and only then might HD be possibly overkill. But since that isn't the case there is no need to do further testing in the lower definition range (whether real world or artificially). It is towards higher definition scans one would have to go to find the point at which a higher definition scans became overkill.

And so far I haven't found where that limit could be, and I've scanned up to the equivalent of 16mm at 24K, and there is still a real world signal to be found in such scans (not just the noise of the medium) ie. when comparing such with the best a lower definition scan could ever achieve.

Now if the signals that exist at these ultra high definitions don't matter to you then you can treat those signals as irrelevant and the ultra high def scans as overkill, but it won't be because those signals aren't there. They are.

But one has to analyse what those signals are. They certainly belong to the real world signal but if the real world signal is "out of focus" all one would be seeing in increasingly higher defintion scans is simply the difference in intensity value along an otherwise smooth gradient, something the mind can interpolate anyway. It is only those signals the mind can't interpolate that would be relevant. That's where resolution charts come in handy. They provide a pattern that if interpolated (by the brain or the lens, the transfer, etc), would result in a smeared signal. It is where a resolution chart fails to cut through a signal (becomes smeared) that one can then draw a line and say that scanning any higher won't get a signal any better than what the brain would interpolate anyway. That's where one can say the scan threatens to become overkill. However what we now have in the universe, that our forefather's didn't, is the ability to digitally analyse these signals with increasingly useful algorithms, to tease out more information than we otherwise could.

For example, an "out of focus" signal can be brought back into focus (to a certain extent). And the higher the definition of the scan the better such algorithms work. And denoising algorithms work better with higher defiintion scans than lower ones. So there's another reason (if you don't like noise) to do a higher definition scan. And there is information to be extracted in the time domain as much as the spatial that benefits from higher definition scans. So even when one has found the limit according to a resolution chart (and I failed to find such a limit scanning Super8 @ 2.5K, or 16mm @5K, or 35mm @10K) even that won't be the actual limit.

Carl
Carl Looper
Uppsala BildTeknik

carllooper wrote:The down-rezzed HD acts as an image of that point beyond which an SD scan can't get any better. That is why using a down-rezzed HD as a reference is a good reference.
No. You are quite simply totally wrong, and you don´t seem to understand it. The downscaled HD-transfer will give you something a SD transfer cannot give. So you are in essence not "testing" anything that has to do with a SD transfer. You are up/down/whatever converting a image back and forth.

It has nothing to do with real life SD-transfers.

carllooper wrote:The down-rezzed HD represents the best that SD could ever do.
No, it doesen´t. It represents something that a SD transfer could never do (a big difference).

carllooper wrote:He then proceeds to argue why they are not the same (and they are not) but doesn't argue why that makes my test flawed.
Well your test to see if a HD transfer is overkill compared to a SD transfer is flawed because you are not comparing a SD transfer to a HD transfer in order to see if the HD transfer is overkill or not. you are comparing one single transfer scaled to different resolutions. If you want to compare one transfer to another, get two transfers done and compare them. Simple as that.

carllooper wrote:And so far I haven't found where that limit could be, and I've scanned up to the equivalent of 16mm at 24K...
... OK somewhere about here you are totally in search for nothing, really. What are you going to do with a 24K transfer, other than play with up/downscaling games in order to "prove" something that has no relevance to anything in reality?
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Double post
Last edited by carllooper on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Looper
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

carllooper wrote:The down-rezzed HD acts as an image of that point beyond which an SD scan can't get any better. That is why using a down-rezzed HD as a reference is a good reference.
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:No. You are quite simply totally wrong, and you don´t seem to understand it. The downscaled HD-transfer will give you something a SD transfer cannot give. So you are in essence not "testing" anything that has to do with a SD transfer. You are up/down/whatever converting a image back and forth.It has nothing to do with real life SD-transfers.
Real life SD transfers will always be worse (or at best, no better). Which is what is meant by the following:
carllooper wrote:The down-rezzed HD represents the best that SD could ever do.
But Kent insists on reading this differently:
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:No, it doesen´t. It represents something that a SD transfer could never do (a big difference).
If Kent actually bothered to read over what was being said he'll see that what was said, and said again, is that I agree with him, that the down-rezzed HD is not the same as SD - and that what was said, and what I'm now saying once again, is that SD can't be any better than the down-rezzed HD. So it represents the best (ie. at the limit) that SD could ever do.
carllooper wrote:He then proceeds to argue why they are not the same (and they are not) but doesn't argue why that makes my test flawed.
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:Well your test to see if a HD transfer is overkill compared to a SD transfer is flawed because you are not comparing a SD transfer to a HD transfer in order to see if the HD transfer is overkill or not. you are comparing one single transfer scaled to different resolutions. If you want to compare one transfer to another, get two transfers done and compare them. Simple as that.
A scan is a measurement. The better the measurement, the better you can analyse what is being measured.What is being measured is not the measurement. What is being measured is the film. The fact that you can obtain more information about a film, from a single higher definition scan should not be that surprising. You should be also able see in such a scan whether the additional information, obtained through that higher definition scan of the film, is useful information. This should also not be surprising. The more you know (or see) the more you can understand about the thing being analysed. The way in which that analysis proceeds is the important question, not whether one is using a single scan or two.
carllooper wrote:And so far I haven't found where that limit could be, and I've scanned up to the equivalent of 16mm at 24K...
Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:OK somewhere about here you are totally in search for nothing, really. What are you going to do with a 24K transfer, other than play with up/downscaling games in order to "prove" something that has no relevance to anything in reality?
Once again Kent ignores everything else being said. The point of testing where the limits are is to increase one's knowledge about the structure of film. If one can prove something through that process that is a good thing. It's certainly better than not proving anything. Proof itself is not the goal. It is knowledge and truth, as distinct from ignorance and willfull stupidity that is the goal.

Carl
Last edited by carllooper on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
Carl Looper