Canon 310 XL question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Rick Palidwor

Canon 310 XL question

Post by Rick Palidwor »

I have a Canon 310 XL and the aperture might be stuck wide open. I open the film compartment and with no film loaded look through the gate as I run it. When I point straight at a light I do not see any evidence that the aperture is closing, as I have seen on other cameras. Is it possible that the aperture is not viewable through the gate due to some design feature? I know I can run some film through it and check but if I can confirm that the aperture is indeed stuck open it would same me the trouble. THanks
Rick
greg_8mm

Re: Canon 310 XL question

Post by greg_8mm »

I just checked with my 310xl and when I open the film compartment and look through the the gate i see that the aperture is closed. When I pull the trigger it starts running and you can see it opening/closing at 18fps. So it does seem your aperture is stuck in the open position...
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

Hi Rick,
I've just had a look through the gate of my 310xl.

When inside the house if i point the camera to the wall I can see right through the gate.
If I point it at window (it's sunny for a change!) I can't see anything.

I'm guessing it has one of those V shaped apertures.
I can see it move in to place.
When looking through the gate from the cartridge chamber, it comes in from the right to the left when closing.

Hope this helps you out!
Chris.
granfer

Post by granfer »

greg-8mm,
The "aperture" Rick was referring to is the not the SHUTTER, which you are describing, but the "f-stop" exposure control.
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

Thanks everyone, it appears that it is indeed stuck open. I was considering selling it to someone who definitely needs a working aperture. I don't mind keeping it as I would use it in extreme low-light when I'd be wide open anyway.
Rick