100D downhill clip, transferred with FlashscanHD.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Uppsala BildTeknik

100D downhill clip, transferred with FlashscanHD.

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Here is a clip with 100D that I transferred a few weeks ago, http://www.vimeo.com/5400948

I really prefer the look of 100D compared to 64T... If only Kodak would have skipped 64T and used 100D as the K40 replacement.
Nicholas Kovats

Re: 100D downhill clip, transferred with FlashscanHD.

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Very vivid reds. They pop.

I will admit I love the K40 I have shot over the years with the knowledge that my color dyes will remain stable in the years to come.

However I am now fascinated with the Vision2/3 interpretation of light and I am determined to "master" it's exposure and final look as I have with Tri-x/Plus-X b/w S8 film.

Perhaps I should open up the following in a separate thread? That is, I was wondering if you apply Cineon filters in Adobe Premiere for S8 Vision negative stock?

I am presently fascinated by Cineon logarithmic DPX files which interperts light values similar to negative film. No clipping. And other attributes.

Are you aware of anyone that is able to directly scan S8 film to Cineon/DPX files? I suspect they would be massive.

In fact I must upgrade my 4 year old PC to handle the CPU instruction set necessary for the latest Adobe Premiere CS3 w/ Cineon.

I am a Sony Vegas man myself. :)

Cheers!

NK
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

looks sick... any update yet on the software for negative transfers on the flashscanHD?

And how did you scan this clip? Was this super8 with a widened gate or did you crop the top and bottom?
Uppsala BildTeknik

I transferred it as a "Telecine 2", I think. I don´t know if the gate is modified, I don´t think so... Perhaps you could ask him on Vimeo?

The latest news about the update for the FlashscanHD to handle negative films is still "Within a few weeks".

No, I don´t know anyone who would transfer super8 to DPX. I don´t think it would make much sense transferring to DPX with a FlashscanHD, since the camera in the scanner is a 10bit 422 capable camera.

Capturing to PRoRes 422 makes perfect sense, here is some detailed info about the ProRes codec: http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/ ... r_look/P0/
christoph

Post by christoph »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:No, I don´t know anyone who would transfer super8 to DPX. I don´t think it would make much sense transferring to DPX with a FlashscanHD, since the camera in the scanner is a 10bit 422 capable camera.
the Spitit and the Millenium HD can do 10bit log DPX files, so the few companies that have a super8 gate could offer that.

the prices will be like 20times as high as a good flashscanHD transfer though, and if the final output is a video master anyway it would be pretty crazy to go through dpx files unless you have some very good reason (or a lot of money to burn ;).
++ c.
christoph

Post by christoph »

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:No, I don´t know anyone who would transfer super8 to DPX. I don´t think it would make much sense transferring to DPX with a FlashscanHD, since the camera in the scanner is a 10bit 422 capable camera.
the Spitit and the Millenium HD can output 10bit log DPX files, so the few companies that have a super8 gate could offer that.

the prices will be like 20 times as high as a good flashscanHD transfer though, and if the final output is a video master anyway it would be pretty crazy to go through dpx files unless you have some very good reason (or a lot of money to burn ;).
++ c.
Uppsala BildTeknik

greg_8mm wrote:And how did you scan this clip? Was this super8 with a widened gate or did you crop the top and bottom?
Actually he already wrote on Vimeo (written in Swedish) about cropping... He cropped the footage in post. However there are no questions or details about the gate on Vimeo. I don´t think it is widened. He uploaded a fullsize pre-crop framegrab to imageshack: http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4451/100d.png
Uppsala BildTeknik

greg_8mm wrote:...any update yet on the software for negative transfers on the flashscanHD?
Update today from MWA-Nova: "Our supplier promised us the negative option
until the IBC (middle of September)."

:cry:
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

Haha thanks for the translation of the vimeo converstation :P

Looks very good to me. Too bad it's gonna take until mid september before you can do negative. I'm gonna be traveling the entire month of september so i was hoping i could send it it before that but i guess i'll have to wait.. no worries though.

but i'm impressed with the transfer, good job.