Canon C-8 Wide Attachment 67: Filters?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

RichardB

Canon C-8 Wide Attachment 67: Filters?

Post by RichardB »

I really love using the wide attachment (thanks again Andy!) on my 814XL-S, but a drawback is that there's no external filter thread on it, which means I can't use my Cokin P adaptor and square 85B filter . Other than doing something like using tape to hold filters in place, has anyone come up with any creative solutions?

Designing a filter holder as part of a matte box is something I aim to do when I build my blimp, but there will be times when using a blimp isn't really practical or desired (hand held shooting or non-sync sound projects)....
granfer

Re: Canon C-8 Wide Attachment 67: Filters?

Post by granfer »

Basically, what you need is a custom adaptor ring (or something already made that will perform the same function). One end of it would have an INTERNAL diameter that is a snug fit over the OUTSIDE diameter of your Canon Wide Angle, and the other end would have an INTERNAL screw thread to suit your Cokin adaptor. To prevent rotation, fix it in position either with a single small drop of superglue or one small grub screw.
If you cannot find anything, or combination of things, ready-made (lateral thinking needed here!) visit
http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/ and talk to them.
I join odd things together regularly with odd stepping rings etc.
Granfer
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Thanks Granfer, that site looks really handy. Will have to bookmark it as it may also come in use for improving telecine setups.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

RichardB wrote:I really love using the wide attachment (thanks again Andy!) on my 814XL-S, but a drawback is that there's no external filter thread on it, which means I can't use my Cokin P adaptor and square 85B filter ....
Use the Cokin Universal Adapter which allows you to use Coking P filters on lenses with no filter thread.
vidwerk

Post by vidwerk »

I used this matte box on my 814XL-S with the C-8 wide for a recent shoot.
http://www.cavision.com/matteboxes/3x3hs/3x3hs.htm
vidwerk.