8mm and 16mm film transfers to HD

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Uppsala BildTeknik

8mm and 16mm film transfers to HD

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

I just thought I would let you guys know I updated http://www.uppsalabildteknik.com/english/ a few days ago. We can now offer HD transfers from both 8mm and 16mm film.

I also have a special webpage that cannot be found through the menu-system on the webpage. It is a special offer for new 8mm films, please note that the prices on this specialpage are not valid for old famliyfilms! There is no link to this webpage because I don´t want to get tons of email from clients with old famliyfilms with questions about why they cannot have a onelight from their familyfilms.

You can find the special prices here: http://www.uppsalabildteknik.com/english/?page=999

Give a link to your filmshooting friends, lets keep super 8 alive! :mrgreen:
aj

Re: 8mm and 16mm film transfers to HD

Post by aj »

Hmm, interesting. Is it safe to ship harddisks in and out with the film? Even as small modern USB 3.5" disks. It is still a bumpy ride.
Kind regards,

André
Uppsala BildTeknik

If you pack it well with lots of soft stuff around the disk, I can´t see why it can´t be done.

The important thing here is no envelopes. Put it in a box so you can give it a smooth ride, and I´m not talking about the box that the hard drive is sitting in on the shelf in the store. A big cardboard box with lots of wrinkled newspapers all around the drive (or something like that), with the original harddrive-box inside the bigger cardboard box... Now we are talking soft ride. :mrgreen:

I have received drives in both envelopes and in the original harddrive-box. The envelope-drive was dead, not surprised about that at all... :roll: The drive in the original harddrive-box survived, but I would never ship a hard drive with so little packaging around it.
Uppsala BildTeknik

Or, to save on the bumpy-rides you could buy a hard drive from me, then the drive only needs to be shipped one way.

I´m not trying to make lots of money on the hard drive-sales, so the price for a new 500GB or 1TB drive is reasonable (at least compared to what they cost in sweden).
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

this is a very generous offer kent!
How many rolls of hd telecine could you fit on a 16 GB memory stick (with an acceptable amount of compression)?
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Uppsala BildTeknik

I will only scan to ProRes, it is a fantastic codec with really good quality. And it is a "full resolution codec", as in 1280x720 instead of some nonsquare pixel thingy like DVCProHD.

In Telecine 2 about one minute will be one GB, and that includes both the actual playbach time and time for me fiddling with exposure and color settings. So it can differ a bit depending on if the films are filled with lots of short clips with different exposure levels/color settings. Automatic exposure will fit more on the flash drives, since I won´t have to stop and adjust exposure levels, only colors.

In Telecine 1 it will fit a lot more (since the framerate is more compressed, I will transfer the film in 50p without doing any pulldown. So if you are shooting 24fps and want a Telecine 1 your 16GB drive should fit about/almost 32 minutes in 1280x720 ProRes.

I´ll get back to you with a more specific answer once I know more. I actually haven´t received the scanner yet, it should arrive any day now unless it gets delayed (it is already delayed, but I´m hoping there will be no new delays).

What gets really interesting is that there are both 32GB and 64GB flash drives out there. Now that would be handy for small/medium size telecine jobs! :mrgreen:

Or what the... how about 128GB external USB sticks? I didn´t know they existed... http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... nkCode=asm

And here is a solid state external USB drive with 128GB http://www.nextag.com/Transcend-TS128GS ... rices-html
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

The more I look into transfers, the more expensive they seem to get. Spectra wants over $100 for one roll of film, processing, and telecine......
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
Uppsala BildTeknik

Well a Telecine 1 of one reel... I would charge $7.73 for a HD transfer to ProRes with the currency rate of today.

Should be affordable, and definetly less expensive than most transfer houses that offer HD telecine.

Im just hoping I won´t get swamped with tons or orders for telecine of one reel, that would probably kill the whole idea of no minimum orders over time.
Ektagraphic

Post by Ektagraphic »

That sound quite affordable! Are they in the US? If not, I don't think they are an option. I'm not to keen on sending my films out of the country
Pull that old movie camera out of the closet! I'm sure it's hungry for some film!
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Ektagraphic wrote:That sound quite affordable! Are they in the US? If not, I don't think they are an option. I'm not to keen on sending my films out of the country
Yes! Who knows what those foreigners would do with your film!

It is a little bit of a pain to send cameras overseas for repairs (but for a Beaulieu the best is of course in Sweden) but I've never sent film. I would think somewhere along the customs line it would get x-rayed but I have no idea.
VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

Will2 wrote:
It is a little bit of a pain to send cameras overseas for repairs (but for a Beaulieu the best is of course in Sweden) but I've never sent film. I would think somewhere along the customs line it would get x-rayed but I have no idea.
I have send an E64T cartridge twice all the way down under to Nanolab for processing and it came back fine with no problems whatsoever. :)

PS: congratulations with the new scanner, Kent! :wink:

Fred.
my website:
http://www.super-8.be

about film transfering:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k0IKckACujwT_fZHN6jlg
Uppsala BildTeknik

Whatever someone would send me for telecine would already be processed. So any x-ray shouldn´t matter I guess.

Thanks Fred! :)
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

So do you have some samples of transferred super8 to HD?

I have almost 1000ft of super8 vision2 waiting to be scanned, but you guys sound pretty reasonable pricewise.. I'd love to see some HD samples.
Uppsala BildTeknik

Not yet. The FlashscanHD is delayed and should arrive next week according to the manufacturer. I will put both "normal" filmclips and SMPTE testclips on my webpage, hopefully at the end of next week.
greg_8mm

Post by greg_8mm »

I just sent you a pm about the prices...