Canon 814 Lives Again

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

Canon 814 Lives Again

Post by Will2 »

While I continue to save money to send by 4008 lens back to Bjorn for a much needed day at the spa, I whipped out my trusty Canon 814 AutoZoom and fell in love with it all over again.

This built-like-a-tank body and ultra sharp lens has such a bright viewfinder that it's much easier to focus.
Janne

Re: Canon 814 Lives Again

Post by Janne »

One of my favourite super 8 cameras, especially after converting the exposure meter to take power from the AA batteries. I'm not a fan of the later Electronic version -- too much plastic used. The 814 AZ also has a nice carrying handle.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Janne wrote:especially after converting the exposure meter to take power from the AA batteries.
Never heard of this option... I can still find the meter batteries no problem but I'd be interested in how this can be done.
mondo77

Post by mondo77 »

Excellent camera. I went to pick up some processed film and the lab had found a cart that I hadn't collected. To make sure it was mine I got the guy to check it and he remarked how sharp it was. Unfortunately mine got damaged in a house move. It's got 2 huge dents on the top near the handle but still works of course. It needs a tripod though. Carrying round 1.8kg wears thin quickly even with a handle (which I miss on other models)
Janne

Post by Janne »

Will2 wrote:
Janne wrote:especially after converting the exposure meter to take power from the AA batteries.
Never heard of this option... I can still find the meter batteries no problem but I'd be interested in how this can be done.
See the link on the signature for more information.

A zener diode circuit is added inside the camera. The circuit lowers the voltage and maintains it constant through the lifetime of the batteries.
ewanuno

Post by ewanuno »

i'm currently shooting with a canon 814.
at the moment i'm using it with zinc air batteries, and a hole drilled into the battery compartment cover.

on the subject of replacements for mercury batteries maybe you will find this article interesting.
http://butkus.org/chinon/batt-adapt-us.pdf

when i get fed up with replacing the batteries i'll modify mine too. it shouldn't be too complicated.
Janne

Post by Janne »

Modifying a Nizo is not complicated. Modifying a Canon 814 is rather complicated for several reasons. One thing is that the chassis is common ground but the battery of the exposure meter is connected to the ground on its positive pole.
ewanuno

Post by ewanuno »

is it possible to disconnect the light meter circuit from ground?
i didn't open up my canon 814 yet.
Janne

Post by Janne »

You have to rewire the light meter. You'll see when you open the camera.