Super16 analysis projector

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

markexp

Super16 analysis projector

Post by markexp »

Hi,
I recently took delivery of a Lafeyette analysis projector which is I believe based a Kodak design and very similar to a LW projector gifted to my friends and I. However this projector has a Super16 gate, which is very interesting and I'm guessing pretty rare but I only shoot regular 16mm - boo.

So does anyone A; have any advise on DIY re-conversion to regular 16mm or B; an incredible and long stated desire for a super 16 analysis projector and want to give me lots of money for it? The gate seems to well worked but unsurprisingly the lens doesn't really cover the edges so there is pretty extreme vignetting. I love these projectors and had a performance thing for two super-slow 16mm's ready to try out so I'm a bit annoyed.

Thanks, Mark
fritzcarraldo

Re: Super16 analysis projector

Post by fritzcarraldo »

markexp wrote:Hi,
I recently took delivery of a Lafeyette analysis projector which is I believe based a Kodak design and very similar to a LW projector gifted to my friends and I. However this projector has a Super16 gate, which is very interesting and I'm guessing pretty rare but I only shoot regular 16mm - boo.

So does anyone A; have any advise on DIY re-conversion to regular 16mm or B; an incredible and long stated desire for a super 16 analysis projector and want to give me lots of money for it? The gate seems to well worked but unsurprisingly the lens doesn't really cover the edges so there is pretty extreme vignetting. I love these projectors and had a performance thing for two super-slow 16mm's ready to try out so I'm a bit annoyed.

Thanks, Mark
What do you mean by "lots of money"?
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

To convert back to Regular 16mm only requires replacing the gate assy with one robbed from a Kodak Pageant 16mm projector.
markexp

Post by markexp »

Hi there,

sorry for getting your hopes up fritzcarraldo, I've decided to keep it and stick a new gate in - I've been playing with the remote control unit and don't think I could go on without it! Thanks David I'm on the Pageant case although I think they are far more common in the US than the UK.

ta, Mark
David M. Leugers

Mark

If you buy a projector to get the gate assy, you could buy a super cheap non-working Pageant and have them send you just the gate assy to save
a huge shipping bill. Often 16mm projectors cost more to ship than what
you pay for them. Good hunting.
Freya

Post by Freya »

It seems the straightforward thing to do would be to just mask either the gate or the projection lens itself. Shouldn't be too difficult and then you could easily switch back and forth between standard and super! After all you might want to do something strange in S16 in the future.

Super16 projectors generally are hyper rare and slow-mo projectors even more so, so it seems like quite a score!

Seems to me like you are worrying about a problem that isn't there!
Go have lots of slo-mo fun I say! :)

love

Freya
ldtowers

Post by ldtowers »

Where is this unit. What did you mean by a lot of money? (seriously) Is the image rock solid?
(no jitter or weave?)
markexp

Post by markexp »

I've swapped the gate for a regular 16mm one. After checking the modded gate it's a strange ratio - the height is super 16 but its worked away on both sides meaning that it is wider and the sprokets show (I don't have any super 16 so this is from testing with regular single perf). The extra width over the sound track seems correct so it's a bit odd. Why it should be like this is mystery to me - the projector came from ebay with no back story, any ideas?

The projector is in Leeds UK by the way and it's staying here!
David M. Leugers

Sounds like the gate is for Ultra-16mm.
Janne

Post by Janne »

Rather than real super 16, it is probably a widened gate for showing the numerical data exposed on the film outside the frame area. Some high speed cameras record such a data on the film.