proto film lab launch party UK

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

markexp

proto film lab launch party UK

Post by markexp »

Hello everyone,

As a long term lurker I thought it time I sign up and start participating - and what better way to start than an invite to a free party! I'm part of not for profit film collective based in Leeds, UK called exp24. We have been putting on screenings and workshops, home processing 8 and 16mm film and generally spreading the small-gauge film word for a couple of years. We have very kindly been given a space and access to a darkroom and other facilities at a studio in Leeds are having a launch party on the night of Saturday the 27th of September. There will be film screenings, performances, super 8 raffle, interactive cine installations, collaborative 16mm direct film to be screened at the end of the night, music, a bar and much more! Everyone with a love/interest in film invited. :D

It will be 6 until 9 at Patrick Street studios, Leeds with a possible after-party. Our collective email address for further details is we_are_exp24@yahoo.co.uk - our website is 6 months out of date, sorry. We are also on Myspace and Facebook if you like that kind of thing. If there is much interest I will post a link to our flyer.

Many thanks Mark
RichardB

Re: proto film lab launch party UK

Post by RichardB »

8O you've gotta be kidding me!

I never knew such a thing existed so close to me, I live a quick train journey away over in Bingley - if I wasn't going back to Uni in Nottingham tommorrow I'd definately be there. Although I'll be pretty busy this year (since it's my final year), when I'm at home in West Yorks you can definately count me in for involvement. Aside from using Super 8 for home movie use I've also got 2 short film (10-30 min) projects in the pipeline that I'd love to contribute once they're done, and I look forward to meeting fellow enthusiasts, taking advantage of any processing facilities etc.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Hi Mark,
richard from nano lab in australia here. I often fantasise about such an artist run lab/performance space ... you lucky buggers. Congratulations on acquiring a new space with dark room etc.. A few years ago now we had a great super 8 scene in Melbourne with the Melbourne Super 8 Group. This was a fantastic and long running venue/venture for experimental film. Actually my good friend Steven Ball from Blighty was our administrator/honcho for several years. He is back in London now ... recently he ran a series of films under the banner 'cogcollective'. Maybe you know him? I will email him and see if he can come to your party! And I would very much like to send you guys a disc with some of my films if you are interested ...
So vale MS8FG, long live exp24!
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
markexp

Post by markexp »

Hello Richard and Richard,
the wonders of filmshooting - one post from 15 minutes away, one from the other side of the world......

yes Richard B, it might not seem so from Bingley but West Yorkshire is a seething hotbed of DIY film making! - We have met so many people recently who are enthusiastic about using film we really want to provide as much support and encouragement as possible, let us know when you are next around and pop by for a beer and a lomo tank session.

thanks for your encouragement nano lab Richard, I've recommended your site to several people who are just beginning their super 8 journey - the technical guides (especially the dreaded focusing) are really good. I don't know Steven, I guess there are people all over the place putting on screenings and doing cool things but if you don't know about them you don't know about them - it would be great if he came along. We've been inspired by the whole history of collectivised film making, there is something pretty special about getting together with like minded people and sharing something we all love. Please do send some films - we've tended to have occasional one-off "spectacular" events, but I think we are going to be having much more regular screenings - more film the better of course.

cheers both of you and stay in touch, Mark
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

Hi Mark
If you ever wanted to screen our super 8 feature Sleep Always let me know.
Rick
onsuper8

Post by onsuper8 »

I went to the Exp24 launch in Leeds - it was great - over 70 people there (by my count) some great installations and a cool vibe!