Canon 5D MK II

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

sk360

Canon 5D MK II

Post by sk360 »

I know this is not a DSLR forum but...WOW! 8O

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/

On a side note, I have some 16mm tri X I shot with my EBM with a computar 12.5-75mm lens that I'll be posting soon.
rufus_blackwell

Re: Canon 5D MK II

Post by rufus_blackwell »

That is awesome!

Beats a film camera any day and thats a fact!
Rufus Blackwell

: Time-Lapse Photography : : www.TimeLapseVFX.com :

: Visual Effects : : www.FXshowreel.com :
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

rufus_blackwell wrote:That is awesome!

In which way?
rufus_blackwell

In every way.

Or more specifically in 21 million ways.

But mainly in the "one is better than the other" way.
Rufus Blackwell

Math

Post by Math »

Film and digital is just different, there's nothing to beat. Such discussions never go anywhere good.

It does look like a nice camera, Canon had to follow with video after the Nikon D-movie function.. Shallow DoF in HD video seems nice.
etimh

Post by etimh »

Man, there ain't no film in that shit.

:P

Tim
rufus_blackwell

Math

I agree with you completely. I was actually just trying to bait the members of this forum.

I love digital for being digital and film for being film and use each accordingly.

Rufus
Rufus Blackwell

rufus_blackwell

Saying that...

Canon are definitely better than Nikon and that is a fact!
Rufus Blackwell

richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

So this camera can record 12 minutes of HD in H264 compression. That is pretty tempting in itself. The blurb there talks of 12 minutes in 'live view'. I wonder if it is possible to access the HD video signal and connect it directly to a computer for use in telecine work. The standard issue with using DSLR cameras for telecine is said to be that the shutter life is limited. But could it work just as a video camera, without the shutter anyway? If so, this could be a good option for an HD camera with interchangeable lens for fitting a bellows and macro lens to for frame by frame capture ...
any thoughts?
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
downix

Post by downix »

rufus_blackwell wrote:That is awesome!

**looks at it, then at his 1913 Kodak Premo 4x5....""

Come and talk to me when they make a digital able to last as long as my classics, of course with the depth of field, integral tilt/shift movements, oh and it has to be able to be built using hand tools....
super8man

Post by super8man »

Let me know when a single pixel or 20 burn out/turn off/go bad. Then talk to me when the 14D comes out...and remind me again how much you paid for your camera in today's dollars raised with inflation for our future discussion...

Here's the fundamental problem with modern imaging...we have now tied at the hip the technology of the camera body to the technology of the image. Before, with film, they could do anything to the camera and the film went its own way.

Now, you have a guaranteed "upgrade" for every user that buys a digital camera today. You KNOW they will upgrade within a year or two, three at the most.

Personally, I don't like both the technology of the hardware and the software being combined. It makes it very difficult to justify the purchase of any professional digital camera knowing tomorrow it will be a pile of junk. If they could solve this issue, I would embrace new cameras more...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
sk360

Post by sk360 »

super8man wrote:.

Personally, I don't like both the technology of the hardware and the software being combined. It makes it very difficult to justify the purchase of any professional digital camera knowing tomorrow it will be a pile of junk. If they could solve this issue, I would embrace new cameras more...
Very true, but for the most part any 8 meg or higher camera is good enough for most professional work and 12 MP's is considered the standard for even the most demanding photo editor. Honestly though, between the two I think I would rather t pick up a used EOS 1D's Mark II instead. It's pretty much as good as any 20 MP camera and I'm sure you'll be able to find one for way under $2k by November. But damm, Canon really upped the bar this time as NOBODY through they would dare put out a pro-am 20 MP camera so soon in to the game after they released the Mark III only a few months ago.
sk360

Post by sk360 »

sk360

Post by sk360 »

Canon's promo short film shot on the Canon 5D MK II is now on line in quicktime.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller ... cleID=2086