Water alters course of shoot

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Rick Palidwor

Water alters course of shoot

Post by Rick Palidwor »

So I have been painstakingly shooting 20 frames a day out my window for at least 4 months, capturing a building being contructed next door. They are about half way through and I was near the end of the first cart when a pipe breaks and water starts leaking into my floorboards. In short order it was obvious that the damage was severe and spreading, so I had to tear down the tripod. In fact, I ended up having to move to a new apartment altogether.

At first I thought the film would be a washout (pardon the pun) as it is quite pointless if I don't see the thing through to completion. As it turns out I can see the building from my new place, so I'll continue from a new angle.

On the upside, the new apartment is actually better.

Anyone else have a shoot disrupted by a flood or other disaster?

Rick
vidwerk

Re: Water alters course of shoot

Post by vidwerk »

Cool. Would love to see it when it's done.
Will you post a clip?

Cheers,

vidwerk.
brokenflashlight

Post by brokenflashlight »

Paranoid neighbors alter course of shoot:

I have a large picture window looking out onto my street. I was in the midst of a simple day-long timelapse of the skyline across my street when I got a knock on the door from the police. I guess a paranoid neighbor saw the camera pointing out of my window all day and got suspicious that I had a telephoto lens or something, and was playing local neighborhood creep. I stupidly invited him in to check for himself and he looked at the camera closely, and moved my tripod around. So, that shoot was ruined mid-day. Stupid idiots.
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

brokenflashlight wrote:Paranoid neighbors alter course of shoot:

I have a large picture window looking out onto my street. I was in the midst of a simple day-long timelapse of the skyline across my street when I got a knock on the door from the police. I guess a paranoid neighbor saw the camera pointing out of my window all day and got suspicious that I had a telephoto lens or something, and was playing local neighborhood creep. I stupidly invited him in to check for himself and he looked at the camera closely, and moved my tripod around. So, that shoot was ruined mid-day. Stupid idiots.
I have been concerned about this throughout as it could look like the camera was pointed at the apartment across the way. I actually imagined exactly what you described and me begging the police not to move the tripod, but they do anyway. Sorry to hear it happened in your case.
vidwerk wrote:Cool. Would love to see it when it's done.
Will you post a clip?

Cheers,

vidwerk.
I'll see how it turns out. I also have some real-time B&W footage of them tearing down the old building, so I will include that at the front end.

I was tempted to include some shots of the water damage, as a way of explaining why the shoot was disrupted, but I didn't have enough light and couldn't bring in light in the chaos of it all.

Rick
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

I went out with a woman earlier this summer whose ex- was the neighborhood creep. He set up his video camera to shoot the neighbor girl's bedroom. Ick!
Robert Hughes
CineGuerrilha

Post by CineGuerrilha »

that's a cool idea. there's a a short film made by yoku onu called Erection (during the 60's) that it's an apartment block being build. u can see it at ubu.com.